Hehehe, Gillette is suing DSC

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by engrsaks, Dec 18, 2015.

1. engrsaks

engrsaks Well-Known Member

Just read this article. It seems Gillette has a point on blade coating. If DSC is really using the same coating as Gillette (without patent being expired), they are going to experience some heavy loss in form of a fine.

Gillette sues DSC

Douglas Carey and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Probably depends on exactly what is patented and what DSC is doing; could be the coating material or it could be the method of applying it or any number of other subtleties. Patents do not apply if there is a demonstrated difference in the alternative product. Can't blame Gillette for suing though, after all they have an enormous greed to protect.

engrsaks and Robyflexx like this.
  3. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Seems to me they should be suing Dorco. If memory serves, they're the manufacturer of DSCs products. This is a case of the 900lbs. gorilla protecting its territory. A suit by Gillette would probably break DSC.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  4. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I use Dorco Pace 4 and the docking system is not the same as the Mach 3, the flexure is stiffer and the blades are not coated with any proprietary process. I don't know about the latest 7 blade cart and handle but the handle for the 6 blade is the same as my Pace 4. I seem to recall that Gillette did try to sue Dorco and since Dorco is still producing their razors, Gillette must have lost.

engrsaks likes this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I can't comment on blade issues(as I use Dispose-ABLEs, ironically a Gillette brand), but this potential suit makes me think of the Rise vs. Colgate suit, won after 10 years by Rise.

6. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I just checked and the Dorco 3, 4, 6 and 7 blade carts all fit the same handle. Unlike Gillette, Dorco designed a system that was economical for the user rather than requiring a totally new system be bought for every innovation in the cart.

Robyflexx likes this.
  7. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Why would you think disposables are beyond the potential of a patent lawsuit?

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

With sales dropping to only $1.7 billion, I'd be a bit miffed to if I were P&G!

9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I just mentioned disposeables as what I use, I wasn't connecting them to a patent lawsuit.

10. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Sorry, misunderstood.

11. engrsaks

As far as I can tell, the lawsuit mainly intends to disclose what product DSC has been distributing. The only way out for DSC now is to let the public know that they are distributing Dorco products (which I don't think will happen) and the lawsuit was already won by Dorco when Gillette accused them for doing the same.

12. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Geez, I thought anyone who gives a darn already knew this.

Hashtag bigdeal

13. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good point. Problem solved.:)

14. engrsaks

We all do, but DSC never made their own statement on it. If DSC does, I don't know how customers will react to that.

15. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Actually I didn't know that. I am really only interested is vintage Gillette razors. So thanks for letting me know. :)

engrsaks likes this.
  16. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I don't understand comments like that to be completely honest.
    It's a publicly traded company with shareholders and employees and just like any other company it's competitive and want to stay - and maximize - its profit.
    If there's a patent infringement by all means sue the pants off DSC.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    mrchick, Streambrewer, gorgo2 and 4 others like this.
  17. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I agree with this. They have a responsibility to their share holders and employees, and the protection of their patent. IMHO.

18. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

I agree with you if there's a genuine infringement and if there is they should go after Dorco, really.
    What it appears like is that Gillette is trying to sue DSC as broadly as possible in an attempt to tie them up in the courts and win by attrition (DSC goes bankrupt and out of business). The odds are in Gillettes favor.

19. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Wilkinson Sword once had 10% of the US market in the early 70's, they retrenched their presence and eventually retreated. Kai's Old Spice share must have been a couple of percentages, competitors come and go...

engrsaks likes this.
  20. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Then there are those of us who realize when a product is overpriced and refuse to buy. When companies like Dorco can produce a product equally as good as Gillette (we can argue that all day with no resolution) for a third to a half the price something stinks at Gillette.