Hello all

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by King camp, Dec 1, 2012.

1. King camp

King camp Well-Known Member

Alright I'm going to start by saying I have only ever cut my self a couple times and don't really have any problems with a Cartridge razor but two weeks ago I saw some double edge blades at the dollar store I had thought that type of razor were only antiques I had two that my dad had gave me when I was younger I I used to play with them if I knew they made blades for them I probably would have started shaving with one of them to start off with so long story short I bought them and went home to find the razor I had found it looked it up on google found out it was a 1966 2quarter slim adjustable (by searching old gillette razor) looked at the instructions and tried it (blades are gillette wilkinson sword for 1 dollar) did just as good as my disposable ones only took twice as long as i had to shave twice it was set on 4 i was surprised i didn't cut myself let alone take my face off that was 7 days ago tried it again two days later I shaved again with it set on 9 did so good I got rid of my other ones this is using shaving foam kept searching found this site called bestshave ordered some shaving cream and bars and
    200 astra superior stainless
    100 astra platinum
    100 bic chrome platinum
    100 rapira
    200 shark
    Blades for under 110 dollars I figure that should last a while also on ebay bought 400 vintage 50s blue blades boxed in dispensers I intend to use got a blue tip a red tip and a regular superspeed in shipment along with a rocket and a black tip all vintage gillettes

My question is what combinations should I use these blades and razors in are any much shaper then these Indian wilkinson swords or are the all pretty much the same?

2. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Well, since DE shaving is much a Your Milage May Vary thing, I'd say: try each combination and see what you like best!

And welcome to TSD! Happy shavings!

3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Each person, and razor, reacts to blades differently so as Mike said you will have to try them yourself.

Oh BTW:

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

4. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

Let's see....
    1000 Blades, check
    7 vintage razors, check
    Cream & "pucks", check

Hmmm, have you though about a brush or 10?

Welcome to the Den. You need to be here. We call them RAD, BAD, SBAD (razor, blade and shaving brush acquisition disorders). We can't help but we can make RAD-BAD-SBAD seem less troubling:D.

Personally, I've always thanked my lucky stars I never fell pray to the dis-orders.:happy102:

Ryan Bales and 178-bplatoon like this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

6. Monkeylord

Monkeylord The Lather Lord

Hello and welcome to the Den ;)

7. King camp

King camp Well-Known Member

Thanks for the greetings all

Already have one brush that was my dads and I orderd another one with the blades why you think I need 10 wink wink

And yeah It's just that I wanted to try lots of diffrent blades but buying them in sampler packs or in single packs looks like a ripoff when for 100 it's under ten dollars and the razors just looked so cool I had to have them

I think I have these dis-orders pretty bad and I just started

alpla444 likes this.
  8. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Just wait, it gets worse. :D

178-bplatoon likes this.
  9. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I know when you first start to buy blades the sample packs kinda look like a rip. However they absolutely are not! You will find that different blades shave you completely differently some times and you need to try as many different types/brands of blades as you can in order to find the one/ones that work the best for you. Also a blade that works terribly in one razor may work wonderfully in another. Since it seems your on your way to fully blown R.A.D. you'll need a variety of blades to try with your different razors. 7 razors is a nice start, I'm sure you'll soon be in the20,50,100 razor ranges....:)
    A 100 blades for under $10 isn't a good deal if you hate the blade or it hates your face..:) So the rule of thumb is to try as many blades as you can, then when you find the ones you REALLY like buy those in bulk.
    :signs046: to TSD King..As well as to all the acquisition disorders "ENJOY"...:)

10. gregindallas

gregindallas Rolls Razor Revivalist

Cuz they're Decorative!

DSCN1175 (A).jpg

Erik Redd likes this.
  11. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

12. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Over 1000 blades? Yeah I'm sure you'll find something that works for you. Welcome man, nice to have you here.

13. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Hello and welcome to the TSD family. The fun part of wet shaving is trying products and combos that work best for you.

14. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Hi and welcome to the shave den. Great starting points already with the setup you have.