Hello from Amsterdam!

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by sm1h, Mar 22, 2019.

1. sm1h

sm1h Member

Hello fellow shavers,

I'm a recent converter to wet-shaving and am wandering the webs in search for information and discussion on related topics. I got myself a vintage Gillette Slim and a Rockwell brush, some local soap (De Vergulde Hand) and blades (Hema). Curious to try Proraso in the future and maybe pick up a blade sample pack once I got the technique a bit down.

Also wondering if it's a good idea to buy an injector next to my DE for the days where I'm pressed for time since I heard they are easier to handle?

Happy to be part of the den,

2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD. Great to have you join us.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

3. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Welcome from Alabama the Heart of Dixie! I don't feel that injectors are easier to handle. I have a few and have only shaved with one once about a week ago. They shave nice but so does a DE. They do shave a little different and both are great.

AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  4. Killerflyingbugs

Killerflyingbugs Well-Known Member

Welcome sir.

5. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Welcome from Canada. Trying an injector/SE is well worth it. Some folks (myself included) are primeraly injector/SE shavers, after starting out with a DE razor.

Hembree likes this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you.

7. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Hoi en welkom bij TSD! Er zijn een paar Nederlanders hier. Maar ik been gewoon een gekke Amerikaan die van talen houdt en zichzelf het Nederlands leert.

8. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

9. sm1h

sm1h Member

Ok I imagine it comes down to personal preference. I guess I'm mostly curious about the difference and to figure out what kind of razor will work best for me.

I found a PAL injecto-matic and a Schick L7 on a local second-hand site. Now I'm on the fence which one I prefer. I heard the PAL is more aggressive and the Schick can be loaded with twin blades. Would twin blades tip the scales in favour of the Schick?

Wat leuk! Ik moet eerlijk zeggen dat ik uit Zweden kom. Ik woon alleen in Nederland sinds een paar jaar. Best knap dat je de taal heeft geleerd, ik vind het zelf moeilijk!

AGHisBBS, Tjebbe and richgem like this.
  10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to TSD @sm1h! Glad you joined up. Plenty of knowledgeable folks around to share opinions, advice, even actual information. Ask questions! This is your own personal thread here so all topics are your choice.

It's common to switch from cartridge to DE razors, then start seeing everything else. The guys who now use straight razors will tell you a SE razor is a gateway to SR's. With a thicker blade than DE's take the SE may give smoother, longer lasting beard reductions. The blades tend to give more uses, too. Should you? That's a personal choice but I'd say when you are ready go for it! Vintage Schick razors tend to sell for less than Gillettes. Several companies are making modern SE's.
    From my own experience I'd say that's a good choice of soap to use with a DE or an SE.
    SOTD 09132018.gif
    If you have questions, feel free to visit The 30 Day Rule / Focus Group where New shavers are learning about vintage razors, and Vintage shavers are trying out new razors. It's all about technique and with a bunch of cheerleaders and coaches folks are getting their best shaves yet!

12. sm1h

sm1h Member

Yes I am liking this forum more and more (especially when I discovered I could change the theme)! Very active community it seems. I've also visited B&B and kind of struggle to see why there's more than one forum for shave enthusiasts. I found even more forums just by looking for information, kind of funny discovering such a huge community that I had no idea existed a few weeks ago.

I think I like the soap too, but I have nothing to compare with and I honestly have no idea if my lather is any good. I'll check out the thread you linked for further questions, thanks!

13. RyX

RyX DoH!

B&B has a deep database so they often show up first on internet searches. Lots of great members, too. TSD is a smaller community, but a little more relaxed about conversations. You can have an opinion, negative or positive about anything shave related here and still be a Member. No corporate sponsorship to police. Our members come from all over the world, mainly the USA. From brand new Newbies to Veteran Shavers. There's little snobbery about what gear folks own. A minimalist with one each razor, brush, soap and aftershave is just as important as the Collectors. A fine bunch of Gentlemen, and several Ladies, too!

Tapatalk via LG

14. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den, a great place to hang out!

15. richgem

Not to mention that penguins, minions, and wabbits all get play together nicely. :D

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Frijolero, wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Welcome to TSD @sm1h

17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Even got one troll who's a pretty nice guy!
    (;) @mrchick)

mrchick, richgem and wristwatchb like this.
  18. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den! I'm glad you're here with us.

19. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Sounds like the makings of a nice stew. :pot:

20. richgem

I doubt it, you would need a chisel to cut through all the grease.

wristwatchb likes this.