Hello from Baraboo WI

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Scott Strangfeld, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Scott Strangfeld

Scott Strangfeld Well-Known Member

I guess you could kind of call me a renewed newbie. I started shaving with a DE about 6 or so years ago when I received a Merkur clone with a custom turned handle in trade for some custom cast handle blanks. At that time, I took a short trip down the rabbit hole and bought a couple different inexpensive brushes, a blade assortment, and even made a batch of my own shave soap. After I settled on Asco super stainless blades, and taking the easier route with Cremo none lathering cream, my enthusiasm fizzled out until recently.

For reasons unknown to me, my interest has been rekindled and I am working through a fairly hefty blade assortment and have acquired several artisan shave soaps. I am thoroughly enjoying the soaps with my current favorite being Stirling Executive Man followed by CBL Insurgent. I have always had an interest in oddball vintage stuff and have now added razors to that list. I picked up a nice earlier model of the Segal at an antique store for $6 and have another one on the way that I sniped on the Bay. I have done my homework on moding blades for the Segal and an hoping to do a couple this weekend.

I recently got my 17 year old son started with a Roman Empire Shaving Caesar that I had so my next step is to decide on a couple synthetic knots and turn some handles so he has his own brush to use with the Stirling Weekend in Malibu soap that he has taken a liking to.

Deeper down the rabbit hole I go.

178-bplatoon, gorgo2, Manumik and 3 others like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

Scott Strangfeld likes this.
  3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Hi, welcome to TSD :).

4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Welcome to TSD @Scott Strangfeld

5. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Welcome! Great to have you join us.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

6. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome..

7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Oh, cool. Another turner. Welcome to TSD, @Scott Strangfeld .
    Check out the Jayaruh Shaving Brushes .
    zwelcome1a.jpg

8. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Scott, welcome to The Shave Den!

9. Scott Strangfeld

That is a very impressive line up of brushes. I have a few cheap boar knots that I've had for a few years now that really need handles. I turn mostly pens and game calls.

10. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

11. Manumik

Manumik Well-Known Member

12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Welcome to TSD @Scott Strangfeld , glad to have you here to share your shaving and life experiences.

:eatdrink013:

Scott Strangfeld and Paul Turner like this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Welcome to the Den. Some of my best early memories are from visiting Baraboo. Lots of attractions up that way, at least back in the early seventies, are they still there?

14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I am a little late to the show. Welcome to the Den. Looks like it might be time to look at some SE razors.

Paul Turner and Scott Strangfeld like this.
  15. Fiorellini

Fiorellini Well-Known Member

Welcome from Belgium.

16. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: back to the hobby.

I hope you enjoy it here. :happy088:

17. Scott Strangfeld

Thank you for the welcome.

There certainly are a lot of attractions in our area. We have lived here for about seven years and there is no shortage of things to do or see. If you are an outdoors person, Baraboo has the most visited state park in the state at Devil's Lake. Probably our biggest claim to fame is the the home of the Ringling Brothers Circus. Of course, just to the north we have the waterpark capital of the world in Wisconsin Dells.

gorgo2 and Paul Turner like this.
  18. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Welcome! Born and raised in Madison here. Ive been to Baraboo many times when the circus was there.

19. Paladin38201

Paladin38201 Member

Welcome from Tennessee