Hello from Illinois

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Rob206, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

Hey everyone . I've been looking for a hobby and am hoping I've found it finally. I haven't wet shaved yet, but ordered everything last night and am beyond excited. I stumbled onto wet shaving ordering a bunch of aftershave and hair tonics off of barber Depot. I started watching reviews on YouTube on these products and it led me to wet shaving. I ordered the edwin jagger de89lbl. Proaso red and some other necessities . I have quite a bit more book marked to order soon.

2. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Rob206 likes this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

Rob206 likes this.
  4. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Welcome aboard! You've found the most knowledgeable and friendliest place on the web! Once that gear arrives jump on into the 30 Day Thread and you'll find a whole roomful of guys willing and able to talk you through every question and/or problem you may encounter. Glad to have you here!

RyX, wristwatchb and Rob206 like this.
  5. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

Welcome from Central Illinois

Rob206 likes this.
  6. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Welcome from Alabama!. The Jagger you have on order is a solid performer and you will enjoy it.

Rob206 likes this.
  7. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Hello and Welcome!

Rob206 likes this.
  8. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD Rob206. You picked a great razor to start with, I started with an EJ89 too. Very nice razor. Enjoy!

Rob206 likes this.
  9. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

Rob206 likes this.
  10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den. I'm glad you're here. You've got some good stuff on order. If you still looking for a brush, consider one of the Omega boars or a custom brush from @Jayaruh. You'll get a one-of-a-kind creation from him at a very reasonable adoption fee.

Once you have your basic kit, swing by the 30 Day Rule/Focus thread. A lot of friendly and helpful guys there will help you get fantastic shaves in 30 days.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    RyX, Hembree and Rob206 like this.
  11. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

Yes I ordered an omega pro 48 boar brush also. And I've already seen another I want to order. This is quickly turning into an addiction

wristwatchb, RyX and Hembree like this.
  12. Hembree

I like this guy already.

wristwatchb, RyX and Rob206 like this.
  13. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den, a great place to hang out!

Rob206 likes this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to TSD @Rob206! Glad you jumped in. This is your own personal conversation right here so do ask questions. Plenty of folks to point you in the right direction for advice, opinion, even actual information.

I've still got my r89, though it's a Muhle Grande. Same cap and base plate, different handle. Recently picked up the matching aftershave for Proraso Red shave soap. Glad to hear you did the Omega boar brush, too. Those #48's are lather making machines!

Which DE blades will you be using?

wristwatchb and Rob206 like this.
  15. Rob206

Rob206 Well-Known Member

I picked out a 5pk of the Astra sp. Came free with the razor. If I like I'll order more

wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  16. Hembree

:happy088:

:happy088:

wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Good blades! Just starting out it's a good idea to swap in a fresh blade after three uses. Assuming 6-7 shaves per week, that's two weeks worth. Once you get a feel for it and know when a blade starts to get dull you might do like many of us. Just shave without counting. When they feel tuggy swap in a freshie.

18. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Rob206 likes this.
  19. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

The Pro 48 is an excellent brush! Some folks think learning to DE shave well is like playing golf. You start out playing golf with one set up of clubs, one pair of shoes...you see where this is going. In learning to wet shave well and in the least amount of time, you start out with 1 razor, 1 brush, 1 soap or cream, and 1 brand of blades. (Go nuts with different kinds of aftershave splashes and balms if you want.) Give yourself 30 days to master your shaving tools -- the main reason the 30 Day Rule/Focus group exists - before you change things up. If you introduce more variables, the learning process will take longer. And after 30 days, you may find yourself in a better position to know what you might like to try next. But just so you know, you should be able to get excellent shaves day after day with the gear you're already getting.

This is just my opinion...and the opinion of a few others here. Bottom line, do what makes you happy. It's just shaving or collecting, or both, depending on how you approach the hobby. If you need some help getting started, please keep the 30 Day Rule/Focus crew in mind. Have fun!

Rob206 likes this.
  20. Hembree

The master has spoken well......I wish when I started out I would have started with one brush, razor and soap combo. I just like changing things up but never got the technique where it should have been. The 30 days challenge helped me and is the way to go plus we have a lot of fun!