Hello from Nevada

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by CrustyCat, Sep 14, 2018.

1. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

Hi everyone. I'm 52 and started DE wet shaving a couple of years ago after many years of electric shaving. Boy, what a difference. When I decided to give it a try, it was on a whim while at Walmart looking for blades for my electric when I found the Van Der Hagen shave setup they had there. I'm sure everyone has seen it, the DE Weishi razor, brush, soap, and mug. Anyway, used this for awhile, not totally satisfied, and bought an Edwin Jagger DE89LBL. I've never become very good at using shave soap, maybe I don't have the patience or it's the mega hard water we have here, so I mainly use Taylor of Old Bond St. shave cream. Me, being lazy, and becoming annoyed with having to take the razor apart to change the blade, I purchased a Parker butter fly razor, don't remember which model but one of the more popular ones. I didn't really care for it too much. So, my googling began, along with youtubing, and people were talking about old Gillette's. So, I purchased a Gillette 40's style Super Speed from ebay, and for me I was in shave Nirvana. Then began, much to my wife's dismay, my Gillette acquisition bug last year. I have slowed down some but I have acquired more 40's style super speeds, flare tips, slim adjustable's, fat boys, post war Aristocrats (currently using and love it), scored an aristocrat slim adjustable, and a couple of toggles. My latest acquisition that I just received is a GEM OCMM. It looks almost brand new and I got it for 12.50. I couldn't believe how well it looked when I opened the box and saw it in person. I'm sure there are other's I haven't mentioned as I have, at least for me, amassed quite the collection. That's me in a somewhat brief nutshell.

Kevin

brit, Hodge, dmshaver and 11 others like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome to The Shave Den, From Texas.

CrustyCat likes this.
  3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

CrustyCat likes this.
  4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you.

CrustyCat likes this.
  5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD @CrustyCat

I hope you enjoy it here. I see you have your RAD(razor acquisition disorder) well in hand. Those Aristocrats are sweet TTO's.

CrustyCat likes this.
  6. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Hi Kevin, and welcome to TSD! Happy Shavings!

I'm not sure if signing up was a sensible thing to do. We're all enablers, y'know. ;) So you've got a GAD? (Gillette Acquisition Disorder). Lots of AD's to be found over here. Before you know it you'll have to move to a bigger place to store all your shaving goodies! :D

welcome.jpg

RyX and CrustyCat like this.
  7. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Welcome!

CrustyCat likes this.
  8. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD Kevin. Glad that you have joined us. Enjoy!

CrustyCat likes this.
  9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Hi Kevin, welcome to TSD :). I just saw your post about liking Clubman. I've used it for years, with great pleasure. Looking forward to your future posts.

CrustyCat and RyX like this.
  10. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Kevin, welcome to The Shave Den from Kentucky!

CrustyCat likes this.
  11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    CrustyCat likes this.
  12. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

CrustyCat likes this.
  13. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den, a great place to hang out!

CrustyCat likes this.
  14. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Hi there. Welcome to the den!

CrustyCat likes this.
  15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    High their, Kevin. You are going to fit right in.
    zwelcome2b.jpg

CrustyCat likes this.
  16. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great welcome everyone.

AGHisBBS, Paul Turner and RyX like this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to TSD Kevin @CrustyCat! Glad to joined in and brought all that experience with you. At your convenience feel free to post photos of your collection. Sounds like you've passed User, and are firmly into Collector status.

That hard water can be conquered by purchasing a gallon jug of distilled. It might help you establish a baseline for what a lather should be or a particular soap can do. Some producers have taken hard water into account and adjusted their formulas for that reason. Generally lack luster lather can be attributed to not using enough product. Before the soap can begin making foam it has to precipitate out dissolved minerals. What brands of soap have you tried?

Paul Turner likes this.
  18. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

Hi Kevin, welcome to The Shave Den. This is a good place with good folks. Pull up a chair & jump in!

19. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Welcome from Canada. Now that you have RAD under control, whats next, soaps or brushes?:D

dmshaver and brit like this.
  20. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Hello and welcome