Hello from Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by jgreenepa, Aug 14, 2019.

1. RyX

RyX DoH!

Sounds like you've got your routine figured out. Schick Krona are still in the overlooked razor section so the prices are reasonable. I heard rumors of folks modifying them with replacement handles. Hope that mild plate does the trick in your Karve. When those first came out I liked the looks. I'm OK with TTO or 3pc DE shaving but sticker shock is holding me back. I chose to wait for the next wave to hit. Sure enough now there's a stainless steel version. Soon the phase one brass will hit the second hand market. ;)

jgreenepa likes this.
  2. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

In my case, this was my first new razor purchase. I’m looking forward to the arrival of my B plate. I love my brass model, and feel no need to purchase a stainless.

wristwatchb, brit and RyX like this.
  3. jgreenepa

I have a Mitchell and a McGaw decoy! Too beautiful to ever use for hunting.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Briscoe likes this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

You, Sir, are a rarity among modern wet shavers. Very few Minimalists escape the dreaded Acquisition Disorders. Some have come out the other side, shed collections, and now enjoy their single set up. I'm only 4+ years in and starting to develop my preferences.

jgreenepa, brit and wristwatchb like this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome..i decided to make vintage gillette razors my thing and sold the rest of my stuff..specifically british 30s- 50s..i like them,they work excellent and i have no real interest in changing them out..i like the brass karve handles however and may purchase one..

jgreenepa likes this.
  6. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den! 50 years using the same razor! Well, we pat ourselves on the back 'round these parts for completing a 30 Day Focus with the same gear. :happy102:Come join us! It's a blast and a great way to share life and learnings! :)

My name is Charlie, and I'm from Kentucky. I'm glad you landed here with us. TSD is a friendly, welcoming, and informative community.

jgreenepa and RyX like this.
  7. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

welcome from Washington state:signs046:

jgreenepa likes this.
  8. jgreenepa

It’s just shaving to me. My existing tool of choice is the Krona. My new one is the Karve. Maybe i’m constitutionally predisposed to only use razors whose name starts with ‘K’.
    I may eventually get caught up in collecting vintage razors. I did do a frame off restoration of my Triumph TR6, and really enjoy taking it down some of our beautiful country roads here in PA. I have never branched off into other sports cars. This is my third and final TR6 since the late 60s. This one works. I removed all the troublesome OEM equipment like the LUKAS wire harness and distributor systems and replaced them with a Bosch harness and electronic ignition. This car runs and can be enjoyed without worrying that I’ll be stranded on some distant country road. In that same spirit I may eventually collect razors for restoration/replating. I’m not one of those collectors who revels in the original patina (i.e. paint and rust). I just don’t know enough yet to collect intelligently. My wife is still working, so I figure this will keep me engaged and help me hold off mental deterioration. . It’s clearly a hell of a lot cheaper than collecting watches.

steve207 likes this.
  9. jgreenepa

So it’s only the handle you like? I must admit, as a watch guy that I love that guilloche pattern Chris Karve puts on his handles. Just for my own learning purposes, what’s the difference, if any, between the UK and US Gillette versions in the era you’re interested in?

wristwatchb and brit like this.
  10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

jgreenepa likes this.
  11. jgreenepa

Thanks for the welcome Charlie! It’s not like I set out for a record or anything. I just spent my $1.49 at the PX for my Krona and used it ever since. I really never considered using another razor. That one just worked for me. It has only been just shaving to me. It’s only since I’ve been retired that my oldest son introduced me to this shaving hobby. I found that I liked reading about people’s adventures with different soaps, aftershaves, preshaves, and razors. I’m not saying I won’t get caught caught up in the dreaded Acquisition Disorder. As a former watch collector, this hobby is clearly a lot cheaper! I am interested in possibly collecting, and learning how to restore and or refinish/replate vintage razors. My problem at this point is that I just don’t know enough to collect knowledgeably.

Enjoy your shave,

Jeff

wristwatchb likes this.
  12. jgreenepa

Thanks, Jim!

jimjo1031 likes this.
  13. jgreenepa

Thanks, Steve!

Jeff

14. jgreenepa

Thanks, Dan, much appreciated!

Jeff

15. jgreenepa

Thanks, Chris! Looking forward to spending more time here.

16. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you.

jgreenepa likes this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

i like the heavier nickel plating on some of the models,the rhodium plating instead of gold.etc..my background piqued my collecting interest with british ones..not much shave difference..i have a 3 piece 1930s new deluxe.razor.the karve handle would look fantastic on it. imo

jgreenepa and wristwatchb like this.
  18. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

:signs046:

jgreenepa likes this.
  19. jgreenepa

The same here! I used to do business in Seoul many years ago. Love Korean cuisine, particularly kimchi!

wristwatchb likes this.
  20. jgreenepa

Which of the models are rhodium plated? Do you have a picture of your deluxe razor?

brit likes this.