Hello From South East Missouri

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Dirtfarmer, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Dirtfarmer

Dirtfarmer Well-Known Member

Hello all. I'm new to single blade shave world. I was going threw some of my dads old stuff and came across a Gillette razor. I thought it looked kinda cool with that red end on it. I figured it was my dads way of marking his razor. Being a snoop that I am, I kept digging. I found another Gillette but this time it had blue end and was in a blue plastic container with a clear lid with a pack of blades. Well, I had to go back threw the stuff I just put up to find the red one to compare the two. I found it and looking at them side by side, I decided this wasn't him marking his "tools" as he was apt to call that kind of stuff. Well, I opened a old cigar box and there was something wrapped up in what looked to be a old wash rag. It was another Gillette razor but this one was longer, skinny handle with a dial of some sort with number on it 1-9. I'm not sure it had ever been used because it didn't even have any soap or water spots on it. When I told my mom what I found, she just kinda laughed and said there was probably more of them somewhere. She showed me some pictures of my dad and me when I was maybe 4 or 5 with me "shaving" with my dad. Face soaped up and all. He would slip the blade out while I was working on my lathering skills and talk me threw the shave. Needless to say that when I got new blades for the Red Tip, I had forgotten all the good advise he gave me way back when. LOL. Thank goodness for the interweb machine for some good advise.

All that history to get to this part. LOL. Yes, I'm now hooked on wet shaves, old razors, good shave creams and soaps and am fighting myself to not get started on brushes.

I usually hit the flea markets about once a month looking for old or odd tools. Now, I've added razors to the BOLO list. So far, I've got a red tip, blue tip and an adjustable slim from my dad, another slim I paid $2.00 for at the sale barn, a 1948 to 50 SS $5.00 at a antique store and a 1921 to 29 Varget? Auto-Strop that came with a German straight razor as well for $10.00 at a junk store. I wasn't really interested in the straight razor but it is old and from Germany so what the heck. I started out with Barbasol shave cream because that's what I've always used. Switched to Cremo Sandalwood, used Cremo under Barbasol and just yesterday, got my TOBS. I bought a badger shave brush as well. I cant believe how good that 48-50 ss shaves with Cremo-Barbasol. Little to now burn with witch hazel or aftershave and no razor burn or irritation the next day.

I may be hooked and I say that because I don't hate shaving now and actually look forward to it. Sorry to rattle on but dang, I've been missing out. LOL.

dmshaver, Frijolero, Hembree and 10 others like this.
  2. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Welcome from West Tennessee...

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Hembree and RyX like this.
  3. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

4. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome..vintage gillette user here as well...

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to TSD @Dirtfarmer! You have something many of us don't - heirloom gear. Other razors may come and go, but you'll treasure those from your father. I'm glad you are getting better shaves. That's what so many of us have figured out. This is your own personal thread right here. Feel free to ask questions. Plenty of friendly knowledgeable folks around to offer advice, opinions, even actual information.

About those shave brushes... You know there's also boar bristle, horse hair, and synthetics? No hurries, we'll be here.;)

Hembree, wristwatchb and brit like this.
  6. Dirtfarmer

Thank y'all for the welcomes. I never even thought about the ones from my father as being heirlooms but they are. I think I'll use the blue tip one time and clean them up and put them away for my grand-sons. I'll have used each one a time or two.

Hembree, wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  7. Dirtfarmer

Were almost neighbors

Hembree likes this.
  8. Dirtfarmer

Thank you.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  9. Dirtfarmer

Thank ya.

Hembree and brit like this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Welcome to SEMO bootheel from ex-Southern Illinois.

Hembree likes this.
  11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you.

Hembree likes this.
  12. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

Hembree likes this.
  13. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Hembree likes this.
  14. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Hello and welcome

15. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD @Dirtfarmer

I hope you enjoy it here.. You've made some really good finds and purchases. Having razors that your dad used is so SPECIAL! :happy088:

Hembree, RyX and wristwatchb like this.
  16. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Sounds like you are definitely hooked. Welcome to TSD from North Cackalacky. My oldest son lived in Cape Girardeau in the late 90s. We visited him there and went up to St. Louis for a visit. Very nice country.
    [​IMG]

Hembree likes this.
  17. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Hembree likes this.
  18. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den. You're off to a great start, and I'm glad you have some of your Dad's shaving gear. That's pretty special.

It's good to have you here with us!

19. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den, a great place to hang out!

Hembree likes this.
  20. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Hello and welcome!

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

Hembree likes this.