Hello from the desert southwest

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by figment714, Feb 24, 2014.

1. figment714

figment714 Well-Known Member

Phoenix, AZ specifically. Newbie here who's been using a DE for about two months. I've been working hard on my technique, and have been basically irritation-free and loving life for 3 weeks now. But I realize that I am just scratching the surface (literally), and that there is still so much to learn. That's why I'm here... and to share and help where I can.

My setup is:
    Homemade pre-shave oil
    Vulfix 375 super badger
    ToBS Eaton College cream
    Merkur 38c
    Personna Lab Blues
    Nivea Sensitive post shave balm

I am currently impatiently waiting on the mailman to deliver a '63 slim, EJ DE89, Omega boar. and a few assorted Stirling pucks. I can see myself getting in deep. I guess that I'm in the right place then? ! ?

I look forward to meeting you all.

-Don

2. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Welcome to TSD!

3. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

4. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den, Don! :signs046:

So I shouldn't mention shavingcreams.com located in Scottsdale?

5. figment714

Holy cow, their store is no more than a mile from where I grew up! I didn't even know it existed. I live on the other side of town now... much safer buffer zone. wink

Queen of Blades likes this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  7. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD!

8. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Den!!

9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Welcome to TSD! Glad you found us. Happy Shaving!

10. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Hello and welcome to the Den!

11. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Hi Don! Welcome to TSD. Enjoy!

12. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Sounds like you have some nice kit there! :happy088:

Welcome to TSD, I hope you enjoy your stay! :)

13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

14. figment714

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I can already see that I came to the right place!

15. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Welcome, nice to have you here.

16. Badger-Face

Badger-Face Well-Known Member

17. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

18. Welcome from Buckeye dude, I'm so new I'm still waiting for the mailman to bring my first de razor.

19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Since you are new to the Double Edge world, here is the advice I received when I started with a DE and so I freely give it to new users. The most important things in shaving are, your skin and technique. All other things fall in line behind those two things and to support them. Since the skin is a given fixed item, the next major item is technique. It is called THE 30 DAY RULE.

THE 30 DAY RULE is as follows: Find a razor, then a blade that will not cause issues with your skin (that may take a few different blades in a sampler pack to find a suitable choice or it maybe the first out of the gate) and select a soap or cream that is easy to generate good lather. Once you find those, and it may take a couple of weeks to find this combination, order a quantity of that blade enough for 30 days, and then spend 30 days using nothing else until you build up your technique. (Note that only one brand blade is used for 30 days after each blade in the sampler pack is tested to make the decision on the blade brand to use for 30 days.) The 30 day clock starts when you have the right blade for you.

After 30 days, change one and only one variable and work for another week then change another after another week. At that point you should be able to make better decisions because your technique is now in place.

This will help you to avoid buying too much gear and stuff too soon without having the technique down to enjoy it all.

This really does work.

Oh and one more thing ...

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

20. I can't say welcome brother because here we are graced with the queen of blades......and that's a great thing.....so just welcome!