Hello from the Great Northwest

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Col C, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Just joined - seems like a lot of good folks on this site. A bit of my background. I'm originally from Maine but went to college in upstate New York and then off to the military. Was drafted in 1969. As they say "life is what happens when you are making other plans". Instead of getting out after 2 years and going back to grad school - I fell in love with the Army and stayed for 30 years. That was followed by another career in the port industry for 17 more years and finally I retired just a few months ago.

I came across my old wet shaving gear a few weeks ago and started researching the topic online. I wet shaved in college back in the late 60s. I wanted to give myself a bit small bit of personal luxury - so here I am. First shave was last Friday afternoon. Bought a Merkur 34c kit, which included a decent badger brush and stand. Also purchased a Captain's Choice shave bowl (very nice) and their Bay Rum Soap. Still waiting for a blade sample pack - should be here any day now. Used the Merkur blades that came with the kit. First shave was great! No nicks or cuts and the closest shave since the 60's.

Went out to dinner after the shave and we started talking about wet shaving. A woman (not my wife) at the table actually stroked my face to feel the smoothness. That alone was worth returning to wet shaving. Hope to learn more from you good folks out there. Thanks and will be talking soon.

Karl G, AGHisBBS, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Glad you joined us. I gave three years to the Army back in the 60s and spent a year in Viet Nam. Thank you for your service, young man. Enjoy your retirement. You will not find a finer group of gentlemen and penguins than here on TSD.
    zwelcome1.jpg

3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den, and thank you very much for your service! It's an honor to have you here with us.

4. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Thanks for the kind words. I never made it to Vietnam. Went to Officer Candidate School then off to jump school and the "Q Course" (Special Forces/Green Berets). Ended up in a number of other places over the years. By the time I got done with the training and returning from another overseas assignment - Vietnam was closing done fast. They sent me to Korea instead. Look forward to talking with you again.

mrchick likes this.
  5. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Thanks much. I was just looking at all the other forums and their past posts. Lots of information.

wristwatchb likes this.
  6. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

Col C likes this.
  7. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Welcome to TSD! wave.gif Thank you for your service to our country.

Col C likes this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi! Thanks for your service.
    We've a couple things in common:
    1 - Retired military myself from the Air Force
    B - Born in Van Buren, Maine. How 'bout you?

9. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Born in Presque Isle, Maine. Way up there. Took a road trip not long ago to go back to Maine. Went up on Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park near Bar Harbor, to watch the sun rise. The out to Vinalhaven Island where my ancestors go back to the 1700's. Finally up to Presque Isle. Then I went to Key West Florida and made my way back to Port Townsend, Washington where I live now. Feels much like Maine here except they don't have winter. The locals here think they do but as you know Maine has real winters.

swarden43 likes this.
  10. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Actually I just realized - you have me beat by another 30 or 40 miles. Van Buren is all the way up there.

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Ayuh. Dad was stationed at Loring when I was born.
    Mom and Dad are now retired in Addison, ME, about another hour or so up Rt. 1 from Bar Harbor.

12. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Hello and welcome

Col C likes this.
  13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Welcome to TSD!

Col C likes this.
  14. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Welcome from Northern BC Canada (we have real winters too)...

Col C likes this.
  15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to TSD.

Col C likes this.
  16. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you.

17. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den

Col C likes this.
  18. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Been to Seoul many times. Lived in Uijeongbu for a year. I imagine it all has grown significantly from the days I spent there back in the 1970s.

19. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den, a great place to hang out!

Col C likes this.
  20. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Welcome!

Col C likes this.