Hello from the Great State of Ohio!

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by n8wwd, Oct 30, 2016.

1. n8wwd

n8wwd Member

Hello!

I'm relatively new to this site, as I just stumbled upon it hunting for good DIY info utilizing Google searches.

My 'journey', I s'pose started a tad over 30 years ago, when I was 18 and started my beard.
    I have always been a 'do it myself' kinda guy, love science and chemistry and not afraid to set off a smoke alarm or two...or.....more sometimes..LOL

Like many people with beards, there are a lot of 'issues' with upkeep, appearances.
    My issue has always been, I call, dandruff of the beard.

I'm a very logical thinker, and am amazed at how one part of the face can be uber oily, whilst others dry. But..I have learned God does have a sense of humor.. ;)

What I am in the 'hunt for' is a DIY 'balm' or light cream, that I can just slather my whole face with, and use it to shave the areas I want to, and leave the rest to treat the beard.

My wife has a very sensitive nose (As she says..can smell a flea-fart over the fence..) and it must be very mild to no scent at all.
    Vanilla to her sends her into a psychotic migrain. (No kidding there..) And any Musk is a no-no. (Smell brings back REALLLYYY bad childhood memories)

As you can tell by the title, I am in Ohio..and a avid Ohio State Buckeye fan...but also realistic. I don't 'diss' other teams as I appreciate talent. (With the exception of Michigan..LOL...it's kind of a 'law'...hehehe)

I am an Amateur Radio operator, am an official weather spotter for the National Weather Service in Wilmington Ohio...(I drive out..and say..."yup...it's a tornado!"..yay?)
    As stated above I'm big into sciences. Natural healing, oils, medicinal plants..(No..I don't do weed), into electronics and chemistry.
    I was an ASE certified mechanic until I became disabled in 1992 when I lost my right leg below the knee, and all toes....due to a sinus infection I left go too long and it went septic. Had a very high fever..passed away approx 20min 'Earth time' and was 'packed in ice' which caused 'Deep Vein Thrombosis' (clots), got gangrene and had my amputations done on Valentines day of 1992.

Well...Nuff of my 'sob' story..love to hear about anyones trials, failures in our quest to have the perfect shave.

Mike

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sorry, I can't help with an all-in-one shave and beard oil.
    But Hi! Welcome to the Den!

3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

4. n8wwd

n8wwd Member

Thank you!

Norcalnewb likes this.
  5. n8wwd

n8wwd Member

Ok, slightly off tangent here.
    Anyone ever try a DIY hair removal 'cream'? NOT 'Nair', tooooo harsh!

6. Pierce Jordan

Pierce Jordan Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD. My goodness you have a book in you for sure. Very interesting life story and hopefully there is another life too :)

As for advice I'm a newbie to DE Wet shaving and don't have a beard so sorry can't help on that front.

I've been to Cleveland Ohio, I'm from Ireland. I was just passing through on the way to Niagara Falls.

7. n8wwd

n8wwd Member

Well...more like you passed through the Falls to get there!

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The OSU fans I knew (most of them) were almost cultlike in their devotion. It was creepy, man!

I lived in the Springfield area until a few years back. Went to Xenia many times. I'm sure I heard your updates on the wx radio channel out of Wilmington, read by that computer voice of course.

9. n8wwd

n8wwd Member

May have, I grew up in Greenville area, and often reported to them.
    I was involved long before the 'robo voices'

And I was living in Arcanum when the tornado came through about 10 years ago, (about a block away actually).
    But, let's not digress from this forum, as I could fill with topics of conversation...enough to lul people to sleep..LOL

10. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Hi Mike! wave.gif Welcome to TSD. Good to have you here.

11. n8wwd

n8wwd Member

Boojum1 likes this.
  12. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

Wow sounds like you've been through a lot. I was born in Springfield OH and a lot of my family live in South Charleston. Welcome to TSD!

13. n8wwd

n8wwd Member

Yes, I have.
    And as I said, I could EASILY 'gab' about a lot of things...totally off topic..LOL

Boojum1 likes this.
  14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Hey, Mike, I too wore a beard for many years. I also had dandruff of the beard. I finally cut it all off and went back to a double edge razor and traditional wet shaving. I haven't been happier. Glad you joined us. I married a girl from Dayton.
    zwelcome2a.jpg

15. n8wwd

n8wwd Member

Thank you!
    There are only 3 times in my life I had to shave it off...when I joined the Navy, when I worked at UPS and when I fell asleep with a Halls in my mouth and drooled and it 'caked' in my beard.
    Other than that, I feel naked with out it!

Jayaruh likes this.
  16. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Thank you for your service. I was Army, myself. I have a son in the Navy. LCDR on Gerald R. Ford. He can retire it three years I think.

17. n8wwd

n8wwd Member

Back to you as well!
    I was on the USS Paul Foster in the Gulf War.

Jayaruh likes this.
  18. n8wwd

n8wwd Member

I prefer not to delve into my naval service.
    PTSD is a real thing, unfortunately..

Jayaruh likes this.
  19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Hi Mike, welcome to TSD :).

20. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome Mike @n8wwd !

A point of Shave Forum etiquette; You can't hijack your own thread. This one's all about you!
    My youngest son hasn't gotten on the shave train, yet. I've supplied him with beard related products that find their way onto my path. I'll run your question his way and let you know if he has a clue!