Hello from the Heart of Dixie!

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Hembree, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

I have to start out and apologize because I already posted a comment in the Rockwell razor club yesterday so I thought I need to get some manners and introduce myself.

I have been wet shaving for a little over four years now and do not regret it at all. What started it for me was when Gillette sent me a battery powered multi-blade cartridge razor in the mail as a promotion. I looked at that thing and said there has got to be a better way. I was shaving with a Gillette Sensor . I was dealing with the typical neck rash and ingrown hair problems. I just hated to shave!

I did a little research and ordered my son and myself a couple cheap Utopia razors to see if we would like wet shaving. He was a teenager at the time and was just starting to shave. I also bought the Van Der Hagen’s shave set from Walmart with the brush, soap and bowl. My son and I have not looked back. We thoroughly enjoy wet shaving.

I have acquired the dreaded Razor Acquisition Disorder that most of us seem to have. It seems to have slowed down since I finally broke down and acquired a Rockwell 6C and the 6S that followed. I enjoy the 6C but I like the feel of the 6S better.

Don’t get me wrong I like my Gems, Fatboy, Slims, Techs, Maggards and Jagger but I keep coming back to my Rockwell.

My son’s favorite razor is a long handled black Weishi. He has had that thing for a year and half and will not turn it loose. He did ask about trying the Fatboy out soon. He is getting there.

I have gleaned a lot of knowledge from this forum over the past couple of years and I hope I can contribute down the road.

Thanks to everyone.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
  2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Hello from Huntsvegas!

PLAla and Hembree like this.
  3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

PLAla and Hembree like this.
  4. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Hello and Welcome!

Hembree and PLAla like this.
  5. Hembree

"Dating an unusual aristocrat" that is funny!

RyX, Linuxguile and PLAla like this.
  6. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Welcome! I live in Hoover, Alabama, just south of Birmingham. Where is your location?

wristwatchb, RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  7. PLAla

I didn't know you were from Alabama!

8. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Be careful what you say around here, you never know what will land you a custom title.

9. Hembree

A little west of Tuscaloosa.

wristwatchb, RyX, PLAla and 1 other person like this.
  10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

Hembree likes this.
  11. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den from Kentucky. My Dad was born in Russellville, Alabama.

Hembree, PLAla and Linuxguile like this.
  12. PLAla

Terrific! Glad to have you on TSD.

Linuxguile likes this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to TSD @Hembree! Glad you delurked and signed up.
    Verily! Lots of info to digest when you start out. Since you are a number of years in, you can assist and help other new folks when they join up.
    No apologies needed. If it took a conversation about your favorite razor to get you in the door, then it's all good.

Between you & your son have y'all found any preferred soaps, brushes, or post shave products?

PLAla, wristwatchb and brit like this.
  14. Hembree

We are mainly using Palmolive Sensitive Shaving Creme and Omega boar brushes. I have ordered a few soaps off of Etsy but nothing special. I normally stick to Pinard Clubman aftershaves and Nivea aftershave lotion. I did order a Timeless shaving bowl and I liked it but the lather was hard to chase around the corners at the bottom of the bowl. I went back to my 50 cent Dollar Tree salsa bowl which fits perfectly into the top of the Timeless bowl. I fill the Timeless part way with hot water and it keeps my lather warm in the salsa bowl. One thing that newbies need to understand about wet shaving is that you do not need to spend a lot of money to get a good shave. They are good quality soaps, razors, blades and aftershaves that reasonable in price and are great performers.

dmshaver, PLAla, wristwatchb and 2 others like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome..

Hembree likes this.
  16. Hembree

Keep talking and we all are going to be kin to each other !

PLAla, wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  17. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Welcome. Dixie is a wonderful place to live. I have a lot of family in Georgia, which is also where my folks live. Glad you joined the forums.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

brit, RyX and Hembree like this.
  18. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

Hembree likes this.
  19. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Congrats on the awakening, with your posts. It took 4 years to decide to post. That's a lot of restraint.

20. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    High their, @Hembree. So glad you have joined us here at TSD. You sound like you will fit right in.

zwelcome2b.jpg

RyX and Hembree like this.