Hello from the UK

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by SevenEighth, Mar 17, 2018.

1. SevenEighth

SevenEighth Well-Known Member

Hello - Newbie from England.

I've been wet shaving for 30+ years, mainly DE safety razor, but also straight razors for the first 20 or so years. Gave up straights over a decade ago when I no longer had a reliable honing source. Fell into cartridge shaving about 5 years back.
    I had always shaved with a nasty old vintage DE or a horrible Wilkinson Sword. Then 18 months ago after a bout of psoriasis I stumbled down the rabbit hole of lovely modern DE razors - Edwin Jagger, Merkur, Muhle and good quality shaving creams. I also discovered the incredible knowledge, experience and skill in shaving forums.
    I am trying to get back to straight shaving, but cannot get a razor with an edge like I remember. I am resolved to teaching myself to hone.

My favourite set up: Proraso sensitive pre-shave, TOBS Jermyn street, Exec shaving aftershave moisturiser, super badger brush.

For a DE razor my favourites (at the moment) are Parker Variant, Muhle Rocca, or Feather ASD2, but any good DE is a joy compared to the instrument of torture I used for 3 decades. BBS in 3 passes, DFS in 2. Feather or Derby Premium.

Last summer I came across Feather Artist Club style Shavettes. My favourite is the Kai Captain, but also enjoy the Feather DX and SS. On a good day, with the wind in the right direction and the gods of facial topiary smiling on me I can get a BBS in one pass using a Feather AC SS loaded with a Super Pro Blade. It amazes me just how good modern shaving technology has become.

I have problematic skin and tough gnarly beard growth. Sometimes the only answer is a really close shave. It is the only thing that cools my skin down.

Always learning, always enjoy reading about other people's experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Welcome!

SevenEighth likes this.
  3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Welcome to the show!

SevenEighth likes this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    SevenEighth likes this.
  5. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD @SevenEighth

I hope you enjoy it here. I'm sure you can find help on both furthering your "traditional" shaving and relearning straights. :happy088:

SevenEighth and RyX like this.
  6. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD from another TSD newbie. I hope you really enjoy the community.

Paul Turner, SevenEighth and RyX like this.
  7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Welcome to The Shave Den!

SevenEighth likes this.
  8. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD! Glad you joined us!

SevenEighth likes this.
  9. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Hello and welcome

SevenEighth likes this.
  10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to TSD.

SevenEighth likes this.
  11. SevenEighth

SevenEighth Well-Known Member

Definitely. Loads of useful info and advice here. Modern straight razor shaving is completely different to how I was taught. Each new experiement with DEs improves the experience. And 24 hours later you get to start all over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

178-bplatoon and RyX like this.
  12. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

SevenEighth likes this.
  13. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den!

SevenEighth likes this.
  14. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Welcome from Canada.

SevenEighth likes this.
  15. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome, from Texas.

SevenEighth likes this.
  16. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

SevenEighth likes this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome @SevenEighth! Sounds like you are well into your re-acquaintance with the wet shaving world. Glad you brought your experience to the community. Plenty of straight shavers, and a number of honers around to lend advice, opinions, even actual information. I hate to call them "junk" razors, but start checking your inventory for something to practice and learn. Those buttery smooth edges are just a stone away.

As a new member to TSD you can sign up for your chance at The Newbie Giveaway. There's some internet spending credits available at the end of the month. Read the rules to be sure you qualify.

SevenEighth likes this.
  18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    High their, @SevenEighth , so glad you stumbled down our rabbit hole, too. Glad you have joined us. Sounds like you have a lot to share. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

zwelcome1a.jpg

RyX and SevenEighth like this.
  19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs046: @SevenEighth from western NY, glad you decided to join us at TSD.

SevenEighth likes this.
  20. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you.

SevenEighth likes this.