Hello from the UK

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Spirit_of_76, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Spirit_of_76

Spirit_of_76 Yardley Ninja

Just wanted to say hi to everyone before I started posting regularly. Those of you with good memories may remember me from B&B where I used to post as AJS. I have been away from the forums for a long time for various reasons, and in that time the wet shaving had to take a back seat, so I've got a lot of lost time to make up for.
    For anyones who's interested, what have I been up to? Not much really, I spent a lot of time in hospital, I've taken a temporary home on the Isle of Wight for health reasons and I have left the safety of University to take on a job as a free lance writer.
    Shave wise, I have left behind the DE and my beloved GEM's to enter the world of straight razor shaving.
    Anyway, I'm glad to be here and it's nice to see a handful of familiar faces.
    Regards,
    Alex

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Oh cool! Welcome to The Shave Den Alex!

I had wondered where you went. I'm glad you found us.

I'm sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well though. :(

3. Spirit_of_76

Thanks Joanna.
    I'm glad to see someone noticed I was gone. Aside from Ron over at B&B you seem to be the only one who wondered where I was, I had feared my disappearance from the forums had been overlooked:sad024
    Healthwise, Christmas in the South of France, away from the inclement weather of a British winter, and my current home on the Isle of Wight have worked wonders. so things are on the up (fingers crossed.)
    Regards,
    Alex

4. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Welcome back Alex!! Glad to hear you are feeling better!!!

Raf

5. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Welcome, Alex. I've only been hanging around these obsessive compulsives (or are we anal retentives?) for a few months so I don't believe we've ever "met". I had to respond though as I find your user name interesting. A Brit (I assume?) calling himself the "Spirit of 76"? A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court? :D

6. Spirit_of_76

Yes Fergie, I am British. The username refers to a picture I used to have in my dorm room during my first year at university. Not Willard's The Spirit of '76, but an enlarged Jason King photograph hung up by my room mate at that time. It caused a great deal of aggravation given the subject matter, and the blasted thing was very nearly responsible for getting the both of us expelled. I thought the whole incident was a huge fuss over nothing, and although I wasn't particularly bothered whether it stayed up or not it became a symbol of my rather childish rebellion at the time and I grew quite fond of it over the years. Besides, even if you don't agree with the main focus of King's work, there is no denying that he is a very talented photographer.
    Regards,
    Alex

7. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Welcome Alex !!
    ....dont think I've had the pleasure yet.
    I need some company here at night ;)

8. Spirit_of_76

In regards to classifying those of us who indulge in (or, more accurately, are afflicted by) this hobby, instead of an either or denomination, I think it is best for us to think of ourselves as anally retentive obsessive compulsives. That way we are at least being honest with ourselves. Besides, admitting we have a problem is the first step towards a cure.
    Regards,
    Alex

9. Spirit_of_76

Thankyou for the welcome Scorpio and Rick.
    Regards,
    Alex

10. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Hi Alex, good to have you here and all the best for your health!!
    Klaus

11. Spirit_of_76

Thankyou Klaus:D
    Regards,
    Alex

12. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

......who wants to be cured ?? :D
    If wet shaving is a disease, I want it to be terminal !!

13. Spirit_of_76

Don't get me wrong, I don't want a cure either. But it helps to placate my significant other as long as I pretend.;)
    Just like the persistant smoker who has had 100's of "last cigarettes" each item I purchase is my "last".
    Anyway what would the cure to wet shaving be? A return to canned gel and cartridges? I'd sooner die:D

14. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Alex, welcome aboard! Glad you made your way to us!!

15. Spirit_of_76

Thanks for the warm welcome Blair:D
    Regards,
    Alex

16. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Welcome

Welcome Alex, and its great to see you and hear you are back in action and feeling better.

Couple questions

1) Since you are past the DE phase, did you want to send my your Sticky? :happy097

2) How's the vintage cue-ball Shave brush you scored? That thing was awesome :happy088

17. Spirit_of_76

Hi Joe,
    Thanks for the welcome.
    As to your questions:
    1. You may have the Sticky when you pry it loose from my cold, dead hands.
    Alternatively, I would swap for a Gillette 195, you send the Gillette out first and I promise not to disappear with both razors:rofl
    2. I remember you asking for post bloom pictures of this brush on B&B and would like to apologise for not doing so, but given my circumstances at the time I hope you can forgive me for not being able to.
    As for the brush itself. I like it, but I don't use it very often. I know there has been a fair bit of controversy concerning Rakowski brushes lately but this brush is fine. There are none of the quality issues others have been quick to jump on i.e glue at the base of the knot.
    The Super badger hair, which on Rakowski brushes is the grade above silvertip, is very nice. Soft, white tips and the hairs themselves are very resilient which makes this a good brush for soaps and creams.
    The brush itself is pleasingly heavy, and eventhough the handle is quite small it has a reassuring heft.
    So, why don't I use it? After getting some feedback from those with Simpson's ivory brushes, one thing became very clear, after prolonged use brushes with natural materials for handles are prone to shedding. This is due to the adhesives used not fixing the knot as well on natural materials as it would on synthetic. Now this may never be a problem with this particular brush, but why take the risk? Besides, this brush will make a great centrepiece for my shave cabinet, particularly if it is flanked by two Pollaro brushes:drool assuming I ever get round to ordering them that is.
    Regards,
    Alex

18. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

welcome Alex,
    Good to have another str8 shaver onboard.

19. Spirit_of_76

Thankyou Bob, like you say it is always good to meet another straight razor shaver.:D

Regards,
    Alex

20. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

I figured it wouldn't be easy to get that sticky :cool:

Thanks for the mini-review on the brush, I still have an image in my head of that brush...it sure is a beauty. I don't think I would use that too frequently if I owned it either - but certainly an excellent addition to any collection. :happy088