Hello from Too Tall

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by tootall1121a, Jun 14, 2018.

1. tootall1121a

tootall1121a Member

Hi, I'm Dave, also known as too tall, or after a bean supper, toot all. I even get mail in the name too tall. I'm only 6'6" but I got the name in a now funny way... wasn't too funny at the time though. My late wife used to babysit to little girls. they happened to move into the apartment across from us, upstairs. Well, it was an old building with low ceilings and even lower ceiling fans, and even though I ducked, it wasn't enough, boom the fan caught me right on top of the head. Ouch to say the least. Well, from then on, all those girls ever called me was too tall. I liked it a hell of a lot better than the other names I usually get called, so I kept it and started using it online. Hmm, I am still wondering why I never get a mother's day card when so many have called me a mother? Anyway, I'm not the most likely candidate to belong here, I no longer shave. I'm old nobody to impress, so why bother? Why I stopped in was to find out about an old Gillette I just picked up at an estate sale. Apparently it's a 1930s long comb in brass with the "new" handle. Kinda reminded me of a fatboy but much older. I stopped in to see if anyone here could tell me what it's worth once I have it clean and shiny. That takes a while soaking in my secret sauce. Anyways, I sell on Ebay it will be offered there when it's ready. I used to sell a lot of old razors, but it seems the market tanked, I can't even get near what I used to for a Fat Boy adjustable. The others, barely do much at all. What's up with that? Too many like me that have given up on shaving?

RyX, 178-bplatoon, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Welcome aboard!!

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    High their, too tall , glad you have joined us. I would love to see a picture of that Gillette of yours.
    [​IMG]

5. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

Welcome to the best shaving forum out there!

6. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

- Pictures?

7. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

8. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den!

9. tootall1121a

tootall1121a Member

thanks guys. I will post pictures when it's cleaned up.

10. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD tootall1121a. Glad that you joined us. Enjoy!

11. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Dave, welcome to The Shave Den! A Gillette NEW Long Comb is one of my favorite vintage razors. You won't get a ton of money for it. Why don't you keep it and hang around? We'd love to help you out as you get started with it. It's actually a lot of fun to shave with vintage razors. If so, you'll impress a handful of middle age guys here (and a few "advanced" senior citizens like @richgem, @NCoxSTL , and @BaylorGator ) who like all things related to shaving. :)

Whatever you decide, we're glad you decided to stop by.

12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you.

14. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Hi, and welcome Too Tall!

Lots of us here would be happy to have a look and try to help. Have you tried looking at any completed ebay auctions? Because to be honest, that's where anyone here will get their guess at the current value.

15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I looked at your ebay site, and the razors you have listed. My honest opinion is that you have most listed more than twice what they should be selling for. Most have major wear on them. But, then again, they are worth as much as someone is willing to pay for them.
    Also, this forum tries to stay away from "What's my razor worth?" questions. http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...t-worth-and-where-can-i-sell-it-thread.18440/

AGHisBBS likes this.
  17. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I took a look at your eBay page, but I cant see any razors. The Wostenholm is nice though.

18. Jarvis

Jarvis Active Member

Welcome!

19. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

20. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I don't think that it's a case that people have given up on shaving. Rather, I think the vintage razor market has changed a bit. From what I gather, there was a time when you could barely give razors away on eBay. Interest in tradition Wet Shaving grew, driven by sites like Art Of Manliness, and certain razors like the Fatboy developed a cult following and demanded premium prices.

These days, I think we have some degree of market saturation. The main interest seems to be the pristine examples or complete sets. By way of contrast, the user-grade pieces, particularly of the more common razors like the Tech or SuperSpeed, pretty much languish or get grabbed by those of us who want the experience rather than the looks. I also think that the rise of companies like RazorEmporium who offer quality refinished razors is addressing a chunk of the high-end market.

I'll let others comment on eBay as a marketplace vs., say, Etsy.