Hello

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by PeteS813, Oct 1, 2020.

1. PeteS813

PeteS813 New Member

I just joined. So I am here to introduce myself. I recently retired so now I don't need to rush through my morning shave. I had tried a straight razor years ago and gave up on it because it was faster to use my safety razor.
    I am on a mailing list and there are constantly offers for free things, all I needed to do was pay shipping. I aquired a staright razor many years ago, but did not use it. They recently offered another straight razor which I acquired. The more recent razor is a different size. I didn't know they are available in different sizes.
    I started to use this free razor and was dissapointed when it was "tugging" against my beard. I ended up buying a 3 inch strop because I thought my technique was at fault. That helped a bit. I also decided to buy a razor, ordered 1 from Portland Razor. I was pleasantly surprised, no tugging (except on the chin, but I guess this happens). Proves you get what you pay for.
    I've discovered there is a lot more to using a straight razor. The razor need to be maintained and sharpened. So I'm here to learn.
    Thank you.

2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Pete, welcome to The Shave Den!

5. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

6. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

Welcome from Washington State

7. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Welcome from West Tennessee.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

8. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome..

9. Manumik

Manumik Well-Known Member

Hello! Welcome to the Den! I'm sure you'll get the best advice from a lot of Straight Razor users/experts here..

10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you. Post over in the straight razor section and I promise lots of people will offer to help. First thing is to get your razor honed properly so you start with a sharp blade.

11. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Welcome to TSD! Listen to Keith, I'm also retired and have learned an enormous amount from this crew! But Keith is spot on, honing is key! The guys over in the Straight Razor section have a wealth of know-how. Keith is modest, but he is one of the straight razor gurus around here. Look forward to getting to know you.

12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Welcome, @PeteS813 . Glad to have you. Sorry I am just reading your post, but better late than never. I just turned 73 and had returned to wetshaving after retirement, too. I generally use straights on Saturday and SE and DE throughout the week. Sometimes I stray. For instance this is OCtober, Open Comb October. I only shaved with a straight the first weekend. I have more OC razors than I imagined, so I have been skipping my straights to try to get them all in this month. Anyhow, welcome to The Den. I also make shaving brushes since moving to North Cackalacky back in 2013.

zwelcome1a.jpg

13. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD @PeteS813

I hope you enjoy it here. :happy088: A straight definately takes good technique and a little more blade maintenance, but from all I have heard it's worth the effort. Unfortunately I'm a bit lazy and I do love my double edges.

14. Fiorellini

Fiorellini Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.

15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Welcome to TSD, glad to have you here.

:eatdrink013: