help a fella out

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by NoobShaver, Sep 20, 2008.

1. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

My current brush is dying and I need to select a new one. The dying brush is a vulfix vs/2 boar brush. It has served faithfully for two years but it's starting to shed pretty heavily- 5 or more bristles with each shave and it feels less firm each time.

I want to step up into badger land but I need some guidance. I can't spend too much- in fact, the less I spend the better (new family, we're on a budget, etc...). But at the same time I want to buy a decent quality brush. Also, I like firm brushes- no floppiness.

I've been looking into a C&E badger brush, or into an Omega. Specific recommendations would be very welcome.

2. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

oh, my, I thought a Vulfix brush would last longer than 2 years. :(

3. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I paid something like 10 bucks for the brush and you get what you pay for. I'd say two years of daily use for such a cheap brush is pretty good. Vulfix has a reputation for quality, I take it? If so I'll look into a Vulfix badger.

4. Padron

Padron Active Member

Hmm,

What's the max amount you want to spend? Do you like creams or soaps better? Any idea of the size knot you would prefer? Do you face lather or do you build the lather in a bowl? Prefer a bulb or fan shape? Like a soft brush or is a little scratchy Ok?

Just a few questions that may help with making good recommendations :)

5. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I knew I left out some important details. Answers:

1. Max amount= around 40 dollars US. Prefer to stay in the 30s.
    2. Knot size= 20 mm or thereabouts.
    3. Lather= bowl.
    4. Shape= bulb, but I'm not really picky about this one.
    5. Soft or scratchy= scratchy is fine with me.
    6. Cream or soap= in the process of converting to creams. My current brush began heavy shedding when I started using a C&E cream. It's awesome, by the way.

6. RayG

RayG New Member

The Crabtree & Evelyn Best Badger at $35 is hard to beat in performance/value.

7. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

What he said.

8. Ditto

9. Sailinblues

Sailinblues Well-Known Member

:sihns011

I think that one meets all your requirements.

10. Padron

Padron Active Member

Hmmm,

I guess I am the only one who found the C&E BBB to be floppy, something the original poster said he wasn't looking for in a brush....

My vote would be to go with a Rooney Super 1/1, 2/1, or 3/1 or Shavemac Finest.....they would run about $40 more than the C&E BBB....but IMHO are of much better quality and build.

Or since scratchy is ok, the Shavemac Pure can be had for $55.00

They all do have a little larger than 20mm knots and exceed the budget though :(

11. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Well, if we're gonna exceed the spending limit, I'm gonna recommend a Knotty Badger in Best. Talk about backbone!

12. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Hmm, I missed the "firm" part. While I don't recall the BBB I used to have being overly floppy, I wouldn't call it firm either. The only firm brushes I am personally familiar with are in the $200 price range. Back to the drawing board?

13. Padron

Padron Active Member

Michael,

You didn't think the Rooney I got from you was firm? I think the Rooney's offer great firmness and density with a boatload of backbone and come in around the $75 price point....but I think they tend to be better with soaps and face lathering at least in the size 1's.............. Size 2-3 would work better with creams....but with added costs........

The Shavemacs offer nice firmness and dense knots, and work better with creams and bowl lathering as they have a bit more loft.

But, for the $30 -$40 pricepoint.....the C&E BBB is the only brush the offers some of qualities desired that I can think of.

14. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

I forgot about that one. Still, he said FIRM, not SOLID!! :happy102

15. Padron

Padron Active Member

LOL, :rofl:rofl:rofl :D

16. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

What about the C&E pure badger? Would it be more firm than the BBB?

17. Padron

Padron Active Member

The only brush I have owned from C&E was the BBB......never tried their pure grade, with the price being so good on the BBB, if you don't like it you could always sell it.

18. Padron

Padron Active Member

Nice, those look great :happy096

19. Hi there new guy,
    Lots of helpful members eh? Some good suggestions already, and let me just mention another possibility.

There's a shaving website called QED, and it's run by a very nice guy named Charles. He markets a brush made by Savile Row, which I quite liked (SR204), but that's not why I posted. I'll just say that he's a pleasure to speak with on the phone and is a very smart and helpful guy. I believe he makes a lot of his own products, and he has an excellent reputation in the shaving community.

Anyway, this new brush he's come out with has been in the making for well over a year, and just recently became available for sale. As you'll see, the prices are very reasonable, and I'd guess the quality to be up to the usual QED standard.

Now, the thing is, you should call or email Charles and explain exactly the type brush you want. He can recommend something that should work well, and won't steer you towards something you don't need or won't like. He helped me out more than once, even knowing he didn't carry what I wanted in his store. Very nice of him to suggest something from another vendor, and he turned out right about his opinion. Tough to put a price on that kind of service.

Ok, here's the link, provided by Guenron (thanks) over at badger and blade. I'd consider one of these if I was in the market for what you described, but can't speak from experience. There's a bunch of reviews over at B&B if you wanna take a look.

Glad to help with your confusion,
    Martin

Oh...I should mention the shaving soap QED sells is kinda legendary.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?p=740166#post740166

20. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

You could just order a new knot and install it in your present handle. I forget the names of the two companies that supplies the knots but I believe that they are under $15.00 each. These are badger knots also.

As I recall there are a couple of threads on redoing an Everyready and ?? handles in this section.