HELP! I THINK I'M POSSESSED BY THE KING!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Marc Bagwell, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Marc Bagwell

Marc Bagwell Well-Known Member

Nope, not by Elvis.
    At least I'd be able to finally carry a tune if it was Elvis. No... I'm talking about the other King. That's right, King Gillette himself.
    I'll explain:
    When I began my journey into DE shaving, the choices as explained to me were simple, Edwin Jagger DE89 or a Merkur 34chd. Okay, not a problem, I danced with both. Then I found other razors in their lineup. I discovered strange hybrids like Slants, and adjustables. Then I discovered there is a multitude of other razor companies, all with their own versions of DE razors. Then something happened... I found VINTAGE!

Okay, I'm a sucker for anything vintage, cars, figurines, anything... but this is in a league of its own. It's like King Gillette himself is standing over my shoulder, urging me to bid on one razor and then another. There are Super Speeds, Techs, Slims, Adjustables, and finally a restored Fat Boy, for which I'm still waiting to receive. There are razors plated in nickel, chrome, rohdium, silver, and gorgeous gold! Oh my God, ALL THE GOLD! And the whole time, my bank account is getting smaller and smaller. At this rate I'll be on welfare within a year. I love what King Gillette gave us, but enough already!

PLEASE SOMEBODY.... FND ME AN EXORCIST!!!!

P.s.
    Anyone know who does the best restoring? I've got my eye on a juicy 1958 Gillette fat boy that would look awesome in 24 kt gold. Just saying...

ob1page, ninjack, twhite and 5 others like this.
  2. theguitarshaver559

theguitarshaver559 Active Member

There's this one guy that most people I know talk about. He does repairs and restoration to all kinds of safety razors. I think they call him Captain Murphy. Don't know his contact information, though, sorry. You'll have to ask someone else.

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Vintage rocks/// now snag a SE and see what real vintage shaving is like...:D:signs136:

Jim99 and Hodge like this.
  4. theguitarshaver559

theguitarshaver559 Active Member

What's wrong with DE?

5. Marc Bagwell

Ok, thanks

6. Marc Bagwell

Okay, and how does a SE differ in shaving from a DE?

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Ahh where do I start. It is just a better easier shave. YMMV is always mixed in but once you try it you are hooked.:bounce015: It is like driving a high end sports car compared to a yugo..:yodaMy opinion anyway.

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Not a thing. but SE just rocks. I use DE SE injectors and straights.... SE is the best to me. Then again I am a charter member of the Williams Mug Shave Soap club so YMMV.

9. Marc Bagwell

Williams is the one shaving soap I haven't tried. Any good?

10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

SE and injectors are twice as thick as DE blades. They don't flex and thus rely less on razor frame tricks for stability. Generalizing is dangerous but most would say I think that irritation is a greater problem with DE blades than straights or straights on sticks like SEs. They are also generally more efficient (my experience), that is comparing a mild injector or SE with an equally mild DE. There is way more feedback from a vintage SE than their DE contemporaries.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

11. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I guess I'm a sucker for the work done by Chris at Razor Plate (http://www.razorplate.com/) His work is excellent, with good prices. Only drawback, a big waiting list as this is not his main line of work, but well worth the wait, in my opinion. Just contact him and he'll let you know.

12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

It is a true hate or love thing, I love it, A lot hate it. IF you want to try it shoot me a PM I will gladly mail you a cake to try. Do a search for williams around here and read all about it.

13. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Williams is the best soap in the world.

Paul Turner and wchnu like this.
  14. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

A thread filled with unequivocal absolutes!
    These type of threads are the absolute best in all the forums!
    :D:D:D

twhite, RyX and '65 G-Slim like this.
  15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You will note that mine say that is my opinion and YMMV. People will always say what they prefer is the best. It's just normal. The one you quoted states best to me. I have and use different types and models of many razors. To me nothing is better then a SE shave.

16. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have a little over 60 razors now. Probably less than ten are newer than 2000. This month I am shaving with SE and injector razors and loving it.

twhite likes this.
  17. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Best post yet!

RyX and HolyRollah like this.
  18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:happy088:

RyX likes this.
  19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

It was my first shaving soap. And I plan to use it again this summer. I enjoyed it while I had it going, but after a few shaves, I broke the soap. I figured it wasn't good anymore. I'll watch out better next time.

20. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles