help identiding a razor please

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by SHAVEWIZARD420, Dec 3, 2015.

1. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I have been doing research on this recently acquired razor and from what I have found I think it is a 1920 double ring old style. The question is, is that true? and is the piece where the threads are supost to come off like that? I appreciate any help I can get, thank you.

glle5.jpg

glle4.jpg

Primotenore likes this.
  2. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

It's actually a 20's Ball-End Old Type.

The collet, the part with the threads, is not supposed to come off like that, but it is a common issue with this handle. A search for repairing Old Type handles should turn up repair advice.

3. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

:signs011: Not a double ring...just an Old Type like this one. Nice find.

1-5-15.JPG

SHAVEWIZARD420, Jim99 and Primotenore like this.
  4. SHAVEWIZARD420

ok cool thanks Herm and John. I don't have a large razor collection so I don't know a lot about the different types.

I haven't tried an OC before, and I got this, a superspeed, a Yardley Shaving Stick NOS, and a Yardley Soap in wooden bowl NOS. Both were in the box and I got the lot for $40 so I think I did pretty good.

5. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

I see a bent tooth....

question to the vets...

Is it safe to bend it back? or just leave it?

Will it impact the shave performance?

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  6. SHAVEWIZARD420

Thank you JR, I noticed the bent tooth and was planning on using a small pair of needle nose pliers, but i'm also not sure if it is necessary.

7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You'll break the tooth if you try that. It MUST be heated with a torch before bending because old brass is particularly brittle. However, heating it will destroy the plating, so it will need to be replated after.

Decisions, decisions...

Herm2502 and SHAVEWIZARD420 like this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Being bent as it is, sideways, it may not affect the shave. You have to try it to find out.

9. SHAVEWIZARD420

It would be cool if it worked without having to mess with it. I will check it out and see how it goes.

JR Reyes likes this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup. You might not even notice it.

11. Herm2502

You have to use a fairly shallow angle with the Old Type. The "sweet spot" on this razor is fairly small and sometimes it's hard to get the angle right. I try to "ride the cap", meaning you start with the top call against your face and the slowly tilt the razor just until you feel the blade touch your skin. This razor can give you a nice shave, but you're probably going to find it more aggressive than your used to. Can't shed any light in the bent tooth other than I agree it will probably break of if you try the "pliers" approach. Clean it up and have fun.

12. Herm2502

You can check the Badger & Blade's Shavewiki website or Mr. Razor's website for more info and pics.

13. ilts

ilts Well-Known Member

I have the same razor it's one of my favorites, with a good blade gives an awsome shave, CONGRATS!!!

14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Ball End Old Type. I got one too. It's an aggressive razor from the 20s.
    old_type19.jpg

15. NapalmCola

NapalmCola Well-Known Member

[​IMG] I maybe a couple days late but I wanted to share my old type.
    I believe there were two old types . The earlier which had a thicker cap and then the later type 102 which has a thinner cap. I believe mine is the thinner capped later type 102.
    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I may have misread or mixed my facts up abit.