Help identify these pipes.

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by wchnu, Jul 7, 2017.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I Picked up a lot of pipes the other day. Among them are these two. They have the white clover leaf like some kay woodies but no other markings. Any ideas on them?
    20170707_123127.jpg 20170707_123107.jpg 20170707_123004.jpg 20170707_122947.jpg

RyX likes this.
  2. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Dr Grabow. Nice lower priced pipes. I have a few.

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

THanks. I have several. They all are marked with the name so was not sure about these. The bent one has a metal peice that screws the stem to the bowl. Stops gurggle I am thinking.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

The bent, and others, is a Kaywoodie Drinkless. My most often smoked pipe is the same system. The Club suit marker is Kaywoodie maker mark. Made by SM Frank, they also make Medico and Yela-Bole

RyX and AGHisBBS like this.
  5. Bama Samurai

Grabow uses a Spade, Club is Kaywoodie.

6. AGHisBBS

I hold a Graybow in my hands now, I stand corrected.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Oh cool. Thanks Bama

Bama Samurai and AGHisBBS like this.
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

They should be similar though right?

Bama Samurai likes this.
  9. AGHisBBS

Very similar, good pipes. I believe Graybow went with a disposable filter system only opposed to the "stinger". I use filters sometimes.

Bama Samurai and wchnu like this.
  10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Awesome

Bama Samurai and AGHisBBS like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

They were direct competitors in the same market space. Similar quality. If you don't like stinger pipes, talk to me. ☺️

The advantages of a Kaywoodie stinger is that the pipe can be cleared and disassembled hot. Very convenient for work. If it gurgles on the stinger, unscrew, blow out, and keep smoking. Eliminates need for cleaner backup while puffing.

RyX likes this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Apologies if that was too blunt.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Sounds great!

Bama Samurai likes this.
  14. Bama Samurai

15. AGHisBBS

Just one of many "system" pipe ideas that I like. Others include Peterson, Mars, Medico Ventilator, Kirsten, Falcon, etc.

Bama Samurai and RyX like this.
  16. Bama Samurai

I have filter/system pipes from MM, Kaywoodie, Grabow, and Savinelli. They are easy and nice smokes. Good for more aromatic stuff too. Generally, with my taste being what it is, I go unfilterless on most VA blends. They tend to burn dry, but for stuff like Orlik Golden Mixture, filter/system is really nice.

17. AGHisBBS

The overwhelming majority of my pipes are of the filterless design, but I can't help but being fascinated by all of the different "systems" that have been invented.

RyX and Bama Samurai like this.
  18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Also in the same lot was this well smoked meer. I at first did not see a mark on it other then it says block merschaum on one side...looking further it has a stylized P. I think it is a Pioneer..With a bakelite stem. Do pipes cause ADs too?
    20170709_092104.jpg
    20170709_092140.jpg

AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  19. Bama Samurai

You got a good one it seems! Pipe AD happens, but we are not too bad about it here. Pipes are like razors, as long as they're "sound", it's more about how you use it.

20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

It looks to me like the bowl has been cleaned. Or maybe whoever bought it in the 60s or 70s kept it clean. I cleaned the bakelite stem. It was a bit rough looking. Going to try it out today I think.

Bama Samurai, AGHisBBS and RyX like this.