Help me branch out and find a Scotch Whiskey

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by SharptoothC, Apr 17, 2020.

1. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

After reading a lot about health benefits of moderate amounts of whiskey, I have taken to having a little a few nights a week. I am interested in branching out to Scotch as well. I can't afford high dollar stuff. My whiskeys of choice lately are Rich & Rare, Henry McKenna and Four Roses, for reference.

Any recommendations? I tend to take my drinks neat.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

2. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Sheep Dip isn't bad. But I prefer the stuff from Islay. You might want to ask at your local favorite liquor store for a recommendation as well. They tend to know their stuff.

emkeane and SharptoothC like this.
  3. SharptoothC

There's a couple guys that do if you luck out and get there when they are working.

4. richgem

You might even see if they have any tasting events either there or at a local bar. The flavor spectrum can be quite interesting and you may want to do some sampling before you commit to a bottle which could be a little pricey depending upon what you like.

5. SharptoothC

The liquor stores here do not have such events. And the restaurants cannot serve under the current laws. I'm willing to take a calculated risk.

6. whaap

whaap Active Member

My only experience with scotch is Chivas Regal which will always be my favorite but it is pricey.

SharptoothC likes this.
  7. richgem

If you like a smokey peat flavor go with something from Islay or Jura. Jura will probably be a little less expensive but also less smokey.

And blends will cost you less than single malts usually.

SharptoothC likes this.
  8. SharptoothC

Can you quantify pricey?

9. SharptoothC

Im not sure what I like in a Scotch yet. But smokey sounds promising.

10. whaap

whaap Active Member

Chivas Regal 18 years old, 750 ML - $75.00. Chivas Regal 12 years old, 1.75 L - $65.00

SharptoothC likes this.
  11. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

I have been enjoying Scotch for over 50 years now and as a results, I have tried far too many!

Save yourself a lot of time and get yourself a bottle, of Johnnie Walker Black. It's not too pricey, at about $35
    for a fifth. It is a super complex blended scotch. You can thank me later!

I prefer it neat, with a teaspoon, of ice cold spring water.

SharptoothC likes this.
  12. SharptoothC

Johnny Walker Black is one of the few Scotches I have tried. It was quite good.

johnnyflake likes this.
  13. Macbeth

Macbeth Active Member

Highland Park is just a tad smoky. The Valkyrie version is nice.

SharptoothC likes this.
  14. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Laphroaig is maybe the most peatey (i.e. smokey) of the Islay Scotches, and not terribly expensive. Pinch is quite smooth and maybe my favorite Scotch overall, though a little more pricey. A friend of mine likes Blue Label so I keep a bottle around, but I rarely drink much of it myself because it's not worth the high price, IMO.
    In the broader category of whiskeys, Knob Creek bourbon is excellent straight up. For making an Old Fashioned, you can't beat Canadian V.O.
    _20200418_122128.JPG

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  15. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

I forgot to make a comment about Bourbon/Whiskey. I have enjoyed Bourbons and Whiskeys for probably longer than Scotch. Like Scotch, you can spend BooKoo Bucks on them and most are not worth the hefty price . However, in my simply world, when I want a great Bourbon, to simply sip on, I will almost always, go for the highly underrated, Weller's 12 year old. Not very expensive, but Outstanding! When I just feel like having a few drinks and enjoy myself, my go to, is Old Grand Dad 80 proof. Very tasty and easy to drink! Like Scotch, I like my Bourbon/Whiskey neat, with a splash of ice cold Spring Water.

BTW, if you have never tried a splash/tea spoon of ice cold spring water with you Scotch or whatever neat, you should try it. It tends to open up the flavors of whatever your drinking.

Keithmax and SharptoothC like this.
  16. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

BigMike, a lot of flavor there on your countertop. Nice.

BigMike and SharptoothC like this.
  17. SharptoothC

I'm with you on the spring water. I've wanted to try Wellers but it is near impossible to get here.

johnnyflake likes this.
  18. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Laphroaig, Ardbeg, Talisker, Oban.

SharptoothC and BigMike like this.
  19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've tried a variety of single malts and the one I keep going back to is Glenmorangie's La Santa.

It's not overly peaty, or overly expensive. Since it's finished in sherry casks, it has a sweet, mellow flavor. It's a good single malt for people just starting out on exploring single malts.

SharptoothC and emkeane like this.
  20. emkeane

emkeane Member

I think it’s whiskey and better whisky. (Spellcheck was used)

SharptoothC likes this.