Help me decide which razor to buy myself for my birthday

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Angelo85, Nov 18, 2019.

?

Which razor do you most recommend

Poll closed Dec 2, 2019.
  1. Eclipse Red Ring

80.0%
  2. Gillette Toggle

20.0%
  3. Apollo Mikron

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

My birthday is 2 weeks away and I am thinking of buying myself a vintage razor for myself. I’ve narrowed it down to the Eclipse Red Ring, Gillette Toggle or the Apollo Mikron. Which of these razors do you recommend I invest in?

johnnyflake, kjbarth and brit like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

i hear the red ring is a great shave and quite rare,i even want one at some point..

johnnyflake, Angelo85 and kjbarth like this.
  3. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

I can't comment on it's shaving quality, but the Red Wings are quite Rare!

Angelo85 likes this.
  4. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Buy all three!
    Happy birthday!
    When it gets here.
    tp

Angelo85 and brit like this.
  5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Of the three, the red ring is probably the most aggressive, one of the reasons I've never added one to my collection. You've got to watch out for cracks in the handle. It doesn't affect the shave, but it ought to affect the resale price. It or the toggle will be the easiest to flip, should you decide it's not up your alley.

I would pass on the toggle, since it shaves very like a fatboy or slim, and offers very little in the way of a unique shave.

If you go with the Mikron, look for the best example you can find. Plating loss can do bad things to these old zinc adjustables.

With a healthy budget and limited to those three razors, I would choose the red ring over the other two, since it's the more beautiful razor to my eyes.

6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

You have already the Gillette Fatboy & Slim that are similar to the toggle so that would narrow it to the others remaining, so flip a coin and that is the one to consider for the next purchase if available. Not the best scientific formula but it works.:rofl:
    If I forget in a couple of weeks :greet002: !

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019