Help me Find a Boar Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by scott wein, Jan 1, 2012.

1. scott wein

scott wein Well-Known Member

Hey All:

I was showing Dad my shave haul and the forum and he was amazed to see all the wet shavers.

He feels I should have two brushes. I am currently into the boar and have but one, a Vulfix 404 Mixed.

Semogue, Omega, or other, I appreciate your direction and advice.

scott

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Any Omega that catches your eye.
    Folks may make suggestions, but you know you're not going to buy or use one you don't like the looks of. Can't go wrong with ANY Omega, so get one you like the looks of and you'll use.

alpla444, battle.munky and scott wein like this.
  3. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I'll second this. While I prefer my Vulfix boar, I'm clearly in the minority and the only other brand of boar brush I've liked is Omega.

alpla444 and scott wein like this.
  4. scott wein

thanx guyz, love my Vulfix but it needs a companion for drying out once in a while. I am between a Semogue and an Omega. What makes Omega special for you.

I prefer a brush about 110 mm, and I have noticed knot differences from 25mm for Omega to 21mm for Semogue.

Unofficially this may have my heart.

http://www.shoeboxshaveshop.com/omega-31025.html

5. swarden43

The value you get for the price you pay is hard to beat.
    That's what makes Omega special.

6. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

It's hard to go wrong with one of the mid sized Omega brushes (24mm x ~55-57mm loft). I had the beechwood version 10005 and really enjoyed it. I passed it along to a friend just starting to get into wet shaving. If you like a larger brush, I would get one of the professional models.

For the Semogue brushes, I like the 2000. It is a big brush (similar to the omega pro), but has a great face feel. The slightly smaller 1305 gets lots of positive press. I don't have one, but there are plenty of happy users.

It's hard to go wrong with most of them. The 404 you have is a great brush.

alpla444, battle.munky and scott wein like this.
  7. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

My only boar is a Semogue 1305 which I find great for harder soaps BUT I'm not really a brush guy and those I know that are seem to be shifting focus more and more to Omegas.

scott wein likes this.
  8. scott wein

very well put Steve. OK, we will make it an Omega. They have two models with lofts of 56-59 mm, my ideal, with 25mm knots. One has the rectangular handle, shown above, and this is the other:

http://www.shoeboxshaveshop.com/omega-31025.html

I am partial to the first but not sure if the rectangle will be comfortable

alpla444 likes this.
  9. swarden43

Nice looking brush! The description says it's a best seller. If the handle was really that uncomfortable, I doubt it would be a best seller. Truthfully, though, you won't know until you hold it yourself.

scott wein likes this.
  10. scott wein

Dale, what a thorough response, thank you. I like the handles in the low 50's and the loft in the mid high 50's.

My Dad feels by rotating the brushes they will all last longer. And yep I love my 404.

All of my brushes are badger, boar is a new love. So thus the forgotten holiday item as I was too busy picking out a travel brush "Mighty Midget" for a friend.

Eric, Gary, Steve, Mark, a most heartfelt thank you. So I know what I want, 50-55 handle, 54-57 loft, hq handle. Now for a decision. The Midget was the first Omega I handled and I am gonna
    trust Steve on this one. I was impressed.

Ok, getting closer.

alpla444 and swarden43 like this.
  11. Shawna

Shawna 1000 Music Tag Bonus Points Awarded!

Scott, the brush in the link is my other Omega that I use. While I used to prefer only the Omega Pro Boar, I now regularly switch between the Pro and the Scarlatti. I wasn't sure on the shape of the handle, it is square with an indented piece between the two colors but I couldn't be happier with it. Especially now that it is broken in.

12. AABCDS

AABCDS Member

My first boar and the only boar that I use is the Omega 81052 that I purchased used for $12. I wasn't sure what to expect but for $12, I decided to gamble. I was quite surprised with its performance. With approximate specs of 23.33/56.69/49.70 (knot/loft/handle height), it's not floppy like a badger would be. It has, what I would call, mid-bristle floppiness but it's still quite usable and a great value.

I know that Semogue makes good badger brushes also but I haven't had a chance to try one of those.

13. scott wein

14. scott wein

thanx James. I am thinking the 31064 might be a good companion for my Vulfix 404 mixed

15. newb

newb Resident Newb

You really can't go wrong with an Omega, or a Semogue even. My Semogue did take a long time to break in though. Personally, I'd try horse.:D

scott wein likes this.
  16. wknicholas

wknicholas Well-Known Member

Scott - Here are three Omega boar bristle brushes in my rotation:

[​IMG]

Omega 10066, 10049 and 20107. I recommend each of them without reservation.

scott wein and GDCarrington like this.
  17. Dslazar9

Dslazar9 Took the Menthol-cratic Oath

I have the Omega Bononcini (31156) which seems to be very similar to the one you are contemplating -you will not be sorry. I had never broken in a boar before (had a few vintage ones that were already too broken in) and it's nice to witness it get softer and more effective with time. I liked it so much I had Rudy Vey put an Omega knot in one of my vintage brushes-a Rooney. Enjoy.

scott wein likes this.
  18. scott wein

Thanx Newb, I have decided this one will be an Omega. Danny, indeed the model I am looking at is similar. Nick, all great pics.

All systems point to Omega, and I think I'm gonna go with the 31064 as it is a little more compact and I dig the handle too

19. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Great choice Scott! I used to have one myself and was very impressed with the build quality and bristle tip softness right out of the box, it ended up being confiscated by my oldest son and is the only brush he uses, and I replaced it with another Omega banded boar.

scott wein likes this.
  20. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Banded boar + lucite handle, what's not to like?