Help me pick out a great super-short stubby razor.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tim Spencer, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

What are the best options (both vintage and current) for a short stubby razor? I need lots of suggestions so that I can pick something out. This is one of the razor types I don't have yet.

LOOT and RyX like this.
  2. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

GilletteTravelTechSmall.jpg IkonTuckaway.jpg

Gillette Travel Tech

Plus you can add an iKon Tuckaway Handle shown above for $21

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    jwr3265 and Jim99 like this.
  3. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I'll throw out. The suggestion of a 1912 either Ever Ready or Gem single edge.

twhite likes this.
  4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Find a Tuckaway 20170627_082257_resized(1).jpg I love mine.
    I also have and enjoy the ikon tuckaway handle, but there's nothing like the vintage McCoy.
    Tuckaway 's are great. 20170814_084247_resized.jpg here's mine with an r41 head (was a bit aggressive) but the stubby handle is nice.

5. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Those aren't really short, unless you get a squat head razor in the thin metal case.

6. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Jim99, cliffb599 and RyX like this.
  7. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Maggard's MRT

Herm2502 and TobyC like this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Ikon Tuckaway with an Ikon SBS head

10. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Show some pictures Enrico.

11. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

German travel razor (German/Austrian). You can use one part of the handle if you want really short, or screw on the next section if you need it longer. You can also put on a Gillette head, if you wish. (The one on the left has the whole handle, but the head is pesting like crazy. The one on the right I have half the handle, but is otherwise in great shape. )

[​IMG]

Enrico likes this.
  12. Bookworm

Oh -I would suggest the Miss Evans, Dainty Miss, Kewtie, and similar, but I'm assuming you want razors for which you can still get blades.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

To be quite honest @jmudrick has recently got me looking at the Ikon SBS, due to they may not be available much longer with patent infringements. Though right now still available on ebay for $25 for the head.

Here's the SBS thread.
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/ikon-sbs-2017.57758/

14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

16. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Wow! It looks like whoever their photographer was for that is NOT a wet shaver. They took the photo with the base plate blatantly upside down...

I'm actually curious about this now... So the bottom most portion of the handle, is it threaded the same so as to fit the head without the extension? If the threading is the same then in theory, you could also use that extension with a regular handle to make it longer as well?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  17. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Lots of good choices here. Short handled Techs are good razors and these are two of mine. They can usually be found at good prices most of the time on Ebay.

20180224_125018_preview.jpg

18. Bookworm

If it helps, even with the chinese knock-off plates from Vig/ZY, it's sometimes hard to figure out which side should be up.

19. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Ah but with the Merkur Plate it is fairly obvious... It would have taken the photographer all of two minutes to check to make sure he had it assembled correctly. S/he probably spent more time than that getting the lighting right... Being able to use the equipment you have does not make you a good photographer. Knowing your subject and being able to capture a good representation of your subject makes you a good photographer.

Ijustmissedthe50s and Enrico like this.
  20. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Connaught assures me they will continue to stock the SBS despite the North America patent issue.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Enrico likes this.