Help me spend more money

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by txskimo, Apr 13, 2015.

1. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

My first straight hasn't even shipped yet and I'm already looking at other stuff to purchase. I really wanted to dabble in making razors but I'll set that aside for awhile and just worrying about maintenance. What would be a good set of honing stones? I was hoping the stones could serve a double purpose with sharpening kitchen knifes as well. I've found several stones just not sure what price range I should be looking at for quality.

Keithmax likes this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I cannot recommend
    but I can tell you what I'm looking at.
    maybe some with more experience can advise us both.
    Norton has a kit.
    you get two combination stones,
    a flattening stone,
    two holders
    for about 125 give or take.
    that's what I'm considering

txskimo likes this.
  3. txskimo

That's a lot less than the one I was looking at lol. 5 Stone Naniwa for 300 bucks

4. david of central florida

if the one I was looking at will suffice, you can buy us both one, and still save fifty bucks. lol

BigMark and txskimo like this.
  5. txskimo

We need to work on your smooth talk but you're headed in the right direction :eatdrink047:

6. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

You are going to end your kitchen knives near the beginning grits of razor honing.

For maintenance a 12k naniwa and maybe a Norton 4/8 combo. Add a chosera 1k for bevel setting and taking kitchen knives to crazy sharp and your done.

Finish stones run big bucks coticules, eschers, jnats, zulu.

Bevel setting is king to a great shave ready razor.

ObiDon, Bristle Me and txskimo like this.
  7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I do my kitchen knives with a Naniwa 600 pro series and finish it with a Naniwa 1K but I never use the same hone on a razor. I have another naniwa 1k pro for razors .

Bristle Me likes this.
  8. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

If you have a set of stones meant for work on straight razors,
    I'd not be using them for anything but straights.
    If you want to put a quick edge on a kitchen knife, I'd look into the DMT diamond
    sharpening plates here:
    http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/DMT-C24.aspx

If you are looking to just maintain your own razor, then you can basically get by with 1 stone. I'd look here:
    http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Naniwa-Sharpening-Stones-New-Super-Stones-C158.aspx
    You will need a 10K or 12K (most would say 12K, but I finish on a 10K just fine)

Now if your cheese has slid completely off of your cracker, and you are looking to learn
    honing from the very beginning to the end shave, then you'll need a full set of stones.
    1K, 3K, 6K, 12K. (or similar. Some prefer an 8K instead of a 6K. You will do well
    to ask around a bit and get plenty of input before laying down your $$$)

Any of these stones will need to be lapped before you can hone a razor with them.
    You'll need diamonds to lap stones. I like these:

http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/DMT-10-DuoSharp-Diamond-Kit-P435.aspx

I'm not trying to be discouraging at all, but becoming proficient at taking straight razors
    from butter knife to shave ready is like serving an apprenticeship. An expensive one.
    Are you serious about this?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
    Drygulch and txskimo like this.
  9. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I am looking for the same kind of things right now. I looked at the quarter Norton sets Whipped Dog sells, but am not sure that's what I want. I already have a couple of lapping stones, and quite a few Arkansas stones, but I don't have the higher grits that are needed for razors. Anyone willing to give two recommendations:

1. Maintain the blades, assuming bevels are good, what stones?
    2. Buy old straights and take them to shave ready, what stones?

Keithmax and txskimo like this.
  10. txskimo

Very serious....just might take several weeks for financial reasons

Bristle Me likes this.
  11. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

"Might take several weeks to figure out how to hide the amount of money I am going to dump into this from SWMBO."

Fixed that for you.

ThomTT and txskimo like this.
  12. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Maintain- Naniwa 10k or 12k. You'd be set

Hone from bevel set up - chosera 1k or naniwa 1k, Norton 4/8 or naniwa 5k and 8k, your finisher would be the naniwa 10k or 12k

You do not need a ton of stones. Most money is spent on the latest and greatest finishers. I have a coticule, Escher, zulu and still use the naniwa 12k as a finisher very often.

Bristle Me and txskimo like this.
  13. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Best thread title ever!

txskimo likes this.
  14. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
  15. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I'm in a similar position. If my second attempt at straight shaving a success I want to at least learn how to maintain an edge since I don't want to international shipping just to refresh a razor. I will leave bevel setting to the pros.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    Bristle Me and txskimo like this.
  16. david of central florida

after reading this thread,
    I'm going to get the naniwa 10k and a flattening stone.
    anyone who has one, and would like something different. pm me before I buy.
    I still want the Norton, but it can wait.

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Good advice! I do like the enthusiasm of wanting to jump into the deep end of the Honing pool, but there is real wisdom in waiting.
    I really didn't even consider owning a hone until I was several months into the SR journey. I was too busy learning how to shave with one as well as developing my feeble stropping ability.
    Early on, I landed a used norton 4k/8k at a great price that came with a diamond plate for lapping—but I didn't even bother with any of them for several months.
    In hindsight, I was fortunate in my novice purchase as the combo stone turned out to be invaluable.
    Too many finishing stones out there ($$$) that I'd hesitate to recommend to a beginner.

ObiDon likes this.
  18. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

I bought a naniwa 10k and sold it to get a 12k

After honing with the 12k I bought another 10k. I think it is an amazing finisher when you use water, no slurry and very light to no pressure.

19. txskimo

20. david of central florida

that's what I was looking at also.

all I need is to refresh my razors. I'll let the experts make the edge, for now, I just want to keep it keen.
    I've been using an antique barber's hone. it just takes a while.

ARGH and txskimo like this.