Help selecting a knot

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by BigMark, Apr 16, 2015.

1. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I require assistance in deciding what type of knot to purchase for my Olivewood handle. I like my coomodore but the knot is to small. I would like something similar. A little scritch is ok but nothing major and plenty of backbone for face lathering. So similar to simpsons best if better than even better. I was looking at TGN.

trey06dmd likes this.
  2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I am very fond of the TGN Finest. I find it very similar to a Shavemac Finest and with the difference in pricing is a fantastic value.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  3. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

The Olivewood handle is very deep. Selecting a knot is difficult. If you could go somewhere they have knots and dry insert to get a better sense of what you are looking to achieve. IMO.

4. FlightMedic

FlightMedic Well-Known Member

The depth can be easily adjusted by stacking nickels in the bottom or building it up with some other material to get your loft just right.

Just don't make any permanent changes or glue in the knot until you have it dialed to your liking.

5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I agree. It's much easier to decrease the depth than increase it.

6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    The Whipped Dog High Mountain Badger is a very nice knot.

Douglas Carey and 2grubswrestle1 like this.
  7. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Where am I supposed to do that?

8. SDK

SDK it's his fault

I (probably along with 13 more TSD members) will be watching this thread closely. One question I have is on finding a high end badger knot in 26mm. Is there such a wonder, and where can it be found? I want to face lather, and someone recommended packing in a 26mm to minimize the bloom a bit...

9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Everyone is different so I have to ask. What would you consider high end? Budget?

SDK likes this.
  10. SDK

SDK it's his fault

High end meaning high quality. I don't want to put a knot into this one of a kind handle that is falling apart in a year. I already have nice, scratchy boar brushes, so am looking for this one to be soft and luxurious, but with enough backbone to face lather.

Price is not an issue within reason, but it does not necessarily have to be expensive.

Does that help narrow it down?

11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Yes it does. I will just go over some of the knots I have used personally. I will say in advance that I like backbone and some scritch and have never enjoyed the pillow soft feel.

TGN 2 band finest in both bulb and fan shape. I have this knot in two of my brushes and have installed them in 2 others for friends. I find them to have very good backbone and soft but with some scritch. The backbone and scritch can be adjusted somewhat by the seating depth. Overall I have think these knots are a tremendous value for the performance. It's no wonder so many brush makers use them.

Whipped Dog High Mountain. I find this knot to be very similar to the TGN 2 band finest. If seated properly it has good backbone but I find it to be more scritchy than the TGN finest. I also find that it does not have quite the flow thru of the TGN. Having said that I do really like the knot a lot, just a shade less that the TGN.

Shavemac Finest. I have this knot in a brush made by Rudy Vey. It's a 26mm set at 52mm. Of my brushes this is my favorite knot. Good backbone, with fantastic flow thru and softer than the TGN finest. Even though I rate it higher it is not a value proposition given the cost over the other 2 knots above.

Wet Shaving Products High Mountain White. Very nice knot with good backbone and some scritch. Does not have the flow thru of the Shavemac or TGN but has more than the WD. I got this knot in a used brush. Not sure I would buy it because of the price.

All the above knots have been used for both soaps and creams. I have had no problems face lathering even hard soaps. In Summary, with money no object, I would rate the knots for my use in the following order, Shavemac Finest, TGN Finest, WSP HMW and WD High Mountain. With cost factored in the ranking would change to TGN Finest, WD High Mountain, Shavemac Finest and WSP HMW.

For my olive wood handle on the group buy, I will be using the TGN 3rd Generation Synthetic. I am going this route for a couple of reasons. First I want a larger knot synthetic brush. Second with a wood handle it reduces the water concerns.

Again the above is just my opinion based my personal preferences. Someone with different preferences would pick differently. Certainly YMMV.

Douglas Carey and SDK like this.
  12. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Thanks Clint! That is a HUGE help!

13. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

No problem. I was just giving my impressions of things I have used.

SDK and Douglas Carey like this.
  14. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I used quarters in my Olivewood handle as they fit perfectly. Good post @clint64

clint64 likes this.