Help:- So many different types of slant razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by SpeedyPC, Nov 12, 2016.

1. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

G'day ;)

The only safety razor I don't have in my collection is a Slant and there are many different types of brand and model to choose, I really don't know or which slant to choose because I've never used a slant razor when I've been using different types of open & close razors. So I would like you're help please if any of you have own a number of slant razors in you're collection, or if you're currently using your favourite slant razor during your shaves so which slant would you recommend me that would give me a very close and smooth comfortable shave.

Complete list of Slant Safety Razors:- if theirs any more slant not shown on the list below please tell me ;)

Above the Tie Slant Close Comb
    Above the Tie Slant Open Comb

Fine Superlight Slant Razor

iKon B1 Slant DLC
    iKon ShaveCraft 102 Slant
    iKon X3 Slant

Maggard Slant

Merkur 37C Short Handle Slant
    Merkur 39C Long Handle Slant

RazoRock Kiyara Slant Razor - have been permanently discontinued and replaced with the new and improved RazoRock Wunderbar Slant
    RazoRock German 37 Slant Razor
    RazoRock "Prototype" DLC Stealth Slant - have been permanently discontinued and replaced with the new and improved RazoRock Wunderbar Slant
    RazoRock Stealth Slant - have been permanently discontinued and replaced with the new and improved RazoRock Wunderbar Slant
    RazoRock Wunderbar Slant Razor

Cheers ;)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I have the merkur 39c
    And the razorock German 37
    They're almost identical cept for the price tag.
    So if you're interested in trying or have one the german37 won't dent your pocket, and you'll get a nice handle that can be used in other razors

3. lloydrm

lloydrm Well-Known Member

It depends your taste.
    I like blade feel and mid adressive razors. Hoffritz/Merkur 37 is the best I've tried.
    S1 was not for me, but some love it. Mild and little blade feel.
    Ikon 102 is kind if an interesting razor, with little to no blade feel though.
    What type of razors you like?

4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

If it were up to me, I would try the German 37 and the Maggard. They give you two different styles of slant shaves without breaking the bank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

preidy likes this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I've had just about every Slant on your list. Here's my thoughts on 3.

RazoRock WunderBar is the best I've ever used.
    IKon 103 is a great razor.
    RazoRock 37 is a bargain slant that shaves great and will allow you to see if a slant is for you without spending a lot of money.

6. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I like the 39c best right now because I like heavy razors.
    I recently got a Maggard Slant and its a learning curve because it's so much lighter.

Herm2502 likes this.
  7. MetalHead88

MetalHead88 Well-Known Member

I have the 39c and razorock German slant. Both are awesome, mid aggressive, and effective razors.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I have a Vintage Lutz Slant Razor, that I compared with a Merkur 37C, a while back. No difference in the shave, but the Merkur was much heavier, from what I remember.

9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

If you master the J-hook or Slide strokes, the slants become absolutely and totally unnecessary. They are a hardware compensation for a technique. But, if your goal is collecting razors...then buy the one that looks the coolest.

10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Yeppers, what @Bama Samurai said.
    Just one extra thing,, Gillette 7 o'clock Yellows with my Fat Boy Razor does a better job than any slant I've tried.

R.D.Nelson likes this.
  11. SpeedyPC

G'day all thanks for you're feedback and I've ordered a iKon X3 Slant head from a friend who is selling the X3 in Australia and it on it's way in the mail tomorrow, I've also registered my email on a waiting list for a RazoRock Wunderbar Slant as it's already been sold out and my brother will buy this as my Christmas gift.

So I'm looking forward to drive the X3 very soon ;)

12. Bama Samurai

Definitely a well-done slant razor. Enjoy!

Herm2502 and SpeedyPC like this.
  13. SpeedyPC

Thank you ;)

Bama Samurai likes this.
  14. SpeedyPC

G'day ;)

I've got my iKon X3 slant head what blade goes nicely with this head before I used this very soon.

Also is there any feedback I should be aware of the X3 before I start shaving with the X3 soon, and does the head behaves very similar to a R41 v2013.

Cheers ;)

Bama Samurai likes this.
  15. Bama Samurai

Ride the cap, keep the angle of attack shallow, and allow the geometry to take over. You'll love it. Shallow blade angle!

16. SpeedyPC

I'm a little lost what do you really mean by Shallow blade angle sorry sometimes I keep forgetting this :ashamed001:

17. Bama Samurai

Keep the cap in contact with the face at all times. This will make the blade move through the hair rather than scraping over the skin. Bad angle is 98% of why aggressive razors hurt people. For instance, straight razors have no cap or guard. The angle is totally controlled by the user. A safety razor greatly limits the available range of cutting angles. This makes its "safe", but without proper angle, like if you were to keep the bar on your face, it will scrape you up. This is what causes razor burn.

Herm2502 likes this.
  18. SpeedyPC

Is 45 or 35 degree angle is about right for a slant when I'm looking at the head.

19. Bama Samurai

No, it's more shallow, like 20-25deg. We're talking blad angle, not grip angle. Just always keep the cap on your face, as this forces a shallow blade angle.

3pc DE Aggressive Razor Fundamentals - "Riding the cap"

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
    Herm2502 and SpeedyPC like this.
  20. SpeedyPC

Now I fully understand what you're talking about and thanks for the link the picture give me a very clear understanding thanks.

Bama Samurai likes this.