Help/suggestions for the TSD cream sampler

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by SDK, Mar 23, 2014.

1. SDK

SDK it's his fault

I am trying to do my part to support the site, and am placing an order with the TSD store for (among a few other things) a six pack sampler of shave creams. I am so far using only soaps, so it's a wide open field.

Based on my research and forum recommendations, I have 3 so far that I think are locked in.

Tabac- if for no other reason, to check out the polarizing scent before investing in a full tub
    TOBS- Haven't settled on a scent yet, but this cream seems universally loved
    DRH Arlington

That leaves three slots open, although Castle Forbes seems recommended as well

Suggestions on the final 3 would be greatly appreciated. There seems to be a large selection of three creams I have not heard much about.

Musgo
    Truefitt
    Trumper

Any insight on these?

The only brand I am not considering is Proraso. I can pick up the C.O. Bigelow versions locally at B&BW

Thanks in advance!
    Scott

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  2. bzero007

bzero007 Active Member

Maybe grab a few different TOBS scents, sandalwood, mr taylor, grapefruit, and any others.

TOBS is one of my favorites but also maybe give the TSD line up a go.

SDK likes this.
  3. SDK

SDK it's his fault

This is actually my fallback plan as the TOBS seems pretty bullet proof.

I didn't see anything available for the cream sampler that was TSD branded. Did I miss something? If you are talking about soaps I am definitely going to be adding at least one or two TSD pucks to this order.

4. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

TOBS, Truefitt & Trumpers are all made by Creightons giving them almost identical performance, the only difference is the scents and price for full sized pots of shave cream. In order from least expensive to most expensive they are:

TOBS
    Trumpers
    Truefitt

I do love the T&H Trafalgar, the 1805 isn't exactly my favourite (Reminds me of 1980s cologne), Trumpers lime is AWESOME and TOBS Jermyn street is something just plain special IMO.

SDK likes this.
  5. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Thanks for the help Justin. I am looking for a lime cream and will add the Trumpers per your suggestion. Also looked into the Jermyn street, and feel like that one will be right up my alley as well. Subtle, masculine and good for sensitive skin.

Revised list....

Tabac
    TOBS- Jermyn Street
    DRH Arlington
    Trumpers Lime

Looking for two more now. I have a few days to decide as the TSD shop is closed this week....

6. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Just placed my order and even got to use a coupon code. Went with 6 that I hope are no brainers in terms of quality, and should give me a broad look at some of the better creams...

I ordered samples of;

Tabac
    TOBS- Jermyn Street
    TOBS- Rose
    DRH Arlington
    Trumpers- Lime
    Castle Forbes- Cedarwood and Sandalwood

Wish me luck!

7. rmcintyre84

rmcintyre84 Got out of the kitchen

I was going to recommend the Castle Forbes Cedarwood & Sandalwood; you made a great choice. It lathers well, and the scent is a nice change from the C. O. Bigelow I use most days. I hope you enjoy your trip through the samples, and may you find the "cream" of the crop. (I'm sorry; I couldn't resist. That's the kind of joke I cringe at when my stepdad makes them.)

SDK likes this.
  8. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Thanks for the good review!

That one was the biggest shot in the dark for me. With the store closed I probably won't see anything for a couple of weeks, but will post some feedback after I try everything....

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Oh snaps! I was going to recommend getting TSD Lanolin Iced Subzero. Next time..

SDK likes this.
  10. Boaz

Boaz Something different

Nice choices, it looks like you have picked some of the very best around. I particularly like the Jermyn Street. I hope you get goo results with them all

SDK likes this.
  11. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Thanks guys!

Rasorburn- I did order the limited edition soap with the samples. I am going to order a TSD lanolin puck or two when I decide on which creams I like. Any non- menthol recommendations?

My face hates menthol so much that I got a rash just looking at the words "Iced Subzero" lol....

12. georgemoe

georgemoe Member

Hi Scott. This is what I ended up ordering for the cream sampler.

Castle Forbes Cedarwood and Sandalwood
    Proraso
    Speick
    Tabac
    Taylor Jermyn Street
    Taylor Mr Taylor

I also got a couple TSD shave soap samples. Bay Rum and Sandlewood. I'm thinking now I should have gotten an LE soap but will next order.
    Now I can't wait for them to get back and fill it. :drool:

13. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Nice choices :happy088:

Let me know if you like the Proraso. If yes, I may have a tube of C.O. Bigelow for you (see my above comment regarding menthol)

14. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Thanks for all the suggestions. Package arrived today and I am more than happy with all of the scents.

Justin- Tried this one first and agree with you completely. The scent is a perfect balance of understated and masculine. The lather was rich, slick and cushioning.

In a word....... Exquisite.......