help to identify german razor - no brand name

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by RocketMan, Feb 13, 2009.

1. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

I picked this up today but I need help with identifying it. It is a sandwich type 3pc and the top says 'made in Germany', but that is it - no other identifiers. It is a little light and doesn't seem like great craftmanship, but rather attractive really. I imagine it is 1930's or so from the pins? Thanx for the help. (sry for the crappy pics)

Attached Files:

2. blackstangal

blackstangal Member

This razor looks the same.Nice and well built.The names in German and I cant read German.Hope this helps,AL:D

Attached Files:

3. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

there was a brand called ericsson that is also a possibility.

4. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Yes Al - that definately looks like the handle pattern. I would say it is the same manufacturer then - good eye!

There are a couple of differences bw yours and mine. The ball (not really a ball but...) on mine is smooth, yours has some grooves on it. Also the comb appears a little courser on yours, and different on each side of the head? But I would say it is certainly the same manufacturer.

Thanx!!! I will now see if I can figure out the german!

Any idea of the age?

A nice quick turn around on sourcing this - TSD rox!~

5. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

It looks like Solinger Wertarbeit is the company brand name. And they seem to have made some pretty snappy other stuff too! Thanx again Al!

Attached Files:

6. Etoyoc

Etoyoc Backwards

Wow... I will admit I know nothing about straights (yet); however, that is one beaut of a blade!

7. joseywales

joseywales Member

Mit Gradem Schnitt means "Property of Joseywales". Or, "With Straight Cut". My German is terrible, so you decide :D

8. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

:happy001
    :happy102:happy102:happy102:happy102

9. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

10. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

There is tons of stuff on there bob! Wow! The translation comes through a little off, but there are some great and different things on there. Now I am going to have to barter for yet another lifetime in order to catch up on those too!

11. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

I'm a member over there, Henning a guy with big time Rad bought one of my Progress knobs, then a the traffic tracker for my site was show a lot of visit coming for a link on the German site.
    When I post I post in English then paste a translation I get from Babel Fish.

12. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I have a Merkur with that handle, well actually two, the new 1904s look like that too, but here is a vintage one that is known to be a Merkur. I know there were a lot of knock offs back then, and I can say with confidence that the head on your razor is not a Merkur. Is the head labeled Germany?
    [​IMG]

13. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

Huh!! That handle is very similar.

Under the head it says 'Made in Germany'. That is all that is on there. It sure does look like the same pattern too.

I don't have a Merkur - but this one doesn't feel like there is enough quality in it to be one. If you want to send me yours I could compare and let you know!! :happy102

14. blackstangal

blackstangal Member

MAN!,I love your razor!!!!:eek::eek::D

15. SlagleRock

SlagleRock Member

I got this exact razor in a Travel Kit from "Western Germany".

16. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

The str8 ain't mine dood :( just something i found looking up the company - wish it wuz!