Help to make switch to adustable safety razor

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Danfred, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Danfred

Danfred New Member

Hope someone can help with this. Have used cartridge shaving system for years and nows the time to make the switch to adjustable safety razor.
    Please guide me in what razor to buy? Also what type of DE blade to choose?

Also, what about brush? What about bowl?

With all the choices out there I'm a little dazzled

Dan

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den, Dan!

First, sign up for the Newbie Give-Away. ;)

Second, wait for the guys to offer their advice. I don't feel good. :ashamed001

3. Flatfish

Flatfish Member

Welcome to The Shave Den.
    Your small post will generate many large responses. Sometimes people even agree.

The bowl I found easy. I use a souffle dish. Actually I've got two. One holds my soap and the other is my mixing bowl for creams. The dish cost about £2 thats about $4 ish. My souffle dish floats with a brush in it but only just. You could also use a cereal bowl, soup bowl etc. At the end of the day it only needs to be big enough to mix up some lather and stay reasonably warm after soaking it in the sink.

Now it gets complicated. Different blades suit different people. I took a chance on Derby blades because the reviews were good and bought in bulk they were cheap. I will probably take advantage of Connaught shavings offer of 300 blades for £16 (UK price). My maths are not great but that works out at about 20 blades for the price of one cartridge blade. Or a years worth of blades for the price of roughly 3 cartridge blades. (Said my maths were not good, thats why I quit working in accounts).
    Perhaps the best thing to do is to purchase a Sampler pack containing different types of blades. That way you can see which ones you like. Could someone provide a link please.

The choice of DE razor is also difficult. It depends on beard type, whether you want to purchase new or secondhand, how much you want to spend etc.
    As you are perhaps unsure I think I would recommend an adjustable razor. That way you can alter the settings to suit you. A recommended new adjustable would be the Merkur Progress. However there are good second hand adjustables around (Ebay, this site etc). A good choice would be something like a Gillette Slim adjustable, or the older but similar Gillette Fatboy. I use a slim adjustable. It can be adjusted from setting 1 which is very mild to setting 9 which is expect blood. Many people recommend the Merkur HD which is not adjustable and in terms of aggressiveness is somewhere in the middle. People say it is good to learn on because you learn good technique. All I can say is that I bought one for my Father and one year later he still hasn't grasped it and I wish I had bought him the Progress so that he can turn it down a bit.

I'll leave someone else explain brushes. Except to say that I really like my medium Edwin Jagger Super badger.

Using a DE razor requires a different technique to a normal cartridge razor. DONT APPLY ANY PRESSURE, USE A LIGHT TOUCH AT ALL TIMES. There is plenty of advise in the shave school section of this site. Also there are some good videos available. Please if you have any questions on anything, just ask.

I understand you may be perhaps a little apprehensive about making the change from a cartridge but you won't be dissappointed.

Best wishes
    Kristian

4. Flatfish

Flatfish Member

Hope you feel better soon JoAnna.:eatdrink013

5. oldfat1

oldfat1 New Member

Welcome to TSD:signs046.

Oh my goodness, where to start? I would suggest trying one of the Gillette and there are many to choose from. The "Fatboy", "Slim", "Super", "Long Handle Super", just all kinds. There are some new models being made also such as the Merkur "Progess", however I have found (and this could just be me) that the Gillette seems to easier to use. Setting "1" on a "Fatboy" is very much the same as setting "1" on a "Slim".

Starting with an adjustable can be a good idea. Keep using your same prep,cream, etc and just focus on learning blade angle and things like that. Then "dail up" the razor and try to find a setting that works for you. Then if you want to try something else, new brush, soap, cream whatever, you can go back to a lower setting and not have to worry about having an aggressive razor while working on things like building lather and stuff.

As a note to all who may read this, Gillette no longer makes Double Edge razors.

My thoughts anyway,

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Thanks, Kristian.

7. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Shameless Plug!

For an adjustable razor, I recommend the N1 Slim I have for sale here. Not the prettiest razor, but it is cheap and 100% functional -- and I'll even toss in a 5 pack of Derby blades to get you started. :D

8. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Rick, a.k.a. Blue Monkey, also has a good introductory razor for sale in that lot. It's called a black tip super speed. They're known for being dependable, mild shavers. It's not adjustable- but I'd recommend a "fixed setting" razor for someone starting with DE shaving. Lets you focus on the technique before you start messing with the settings.

As for blade- you're just going to have to pick a few different brands and see what works for you. I started with American Personnas. The local Walmart carried them for something like 2 dollars for 10 blades.

For soaps- I started with soaps ordered through classicshaving.com. The Shaving Den sells its own brand of soap which is quite good. You also might check out walmart- some sell Van Der Hagen soaps which are a good beginning soap. All these either come in their own container or fit into a coffee mug.

For brush- start cheap and work your way up. I'm happy with the 10 dollar boar brush I bought two years ago. Some folks on this board are okay with spending over 100 dollars on a single brush. Figure out your comfort level for spending on a shaving brush and look around. There are brushes to fit any level of spending.

9. oldfat1

oldfat1 New Member

Given my fox paws, in my first post:signs081. If Dan will P.M. me with an address, I'll send him a "Fatboy" to try.:signs120.

10. Ursa

Ursa Well-Known Member

Hi, Dan:

You might want to make the switch in two steps:
    1. Get your brush, bowl, and soap or cream first, and learn to use them while continuing to shave with your current cartridge razor.
    2. After you get the hang of crafting your own lather, switch to the DE razor. If you don't get the results you hoped for, you'll know for sure that it's your technique with the razor that's faulty, and not the way you're building your lather.

11. J T

J T Member

Dan

Welcome

Get a Progress, load it with a Derby, set it on 1 and leave it.
    Rooney 3 small 'super' - creams, soaps, it will do them all.
    Forget the bowl - Face Lather
    KMF Shave Cream - Comes in plenty of flavors, builds great lather and its cheap.
    Whatever basic kit you decide on, do Not change it , do Not vary it and do Not experiment with other products. You do not need any variables while you unlearn cartridges and get your DE technique down so its second nature.
    Watch Mantic's videos - get Leisureguys book and most of all enjoy a great shave.;)

12. The Chebb

The Chebb New Member

Welcome to the mix! Lotsa good advice...I'll reinforce the key points:
    1) Watch the Mantic videos on youtube
    2) Buy the soap/cream/brush/preshave/aftershave to practice with your current set-up, it'll make for an easier transition - I recommend TSD Store for samples of both soaps and creams.
    3) Get yourself a Merkur Razor and blade samples
    Go slowly don't rush...

13. Sheesh Dan,
    The heck did you say to these people? I just read this thread and man..........you're really getting some good advice from many sources. The gang musta takin a liken to you or somethin. Found myself nodding my head more than once, plus, Ken even offered you a Fatboy? Hehe, you're also probably aware of the difference in opinions on certain items, but get used to that.......

Hehe, we're all here to help (enable) you on your shaving journey,
    Martin

14. Will

Will Nevermind

15. Danfred

Danfred New Member

Help to make switch to adjustable safety razor

Wish to thank everyone who has offered their advice so far on this topic.

Really appreciate your thoughts.

Dan:happy102

16. Danfred

Danfred New Member

Fat Boy

I realize a little time has elapsed since you communicated with me concerning a Fat Boy razor. Can you tell me about the razor or send an image?

Or have you withdrawn your offer?
    I'm just starting to collect a few razors for no other purposes than nostalgia. If I had the razors which I collected and lost or mislaid over time in the last 50years. :mad:

Regards

Dan

17. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Welcome!