Help w/info on antique Joseph Rodgers razors

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by RgR, Jun 26, 2021.

1. RgR

RgR New Member

I am a newbie here, simply looking for historical documentation on a couple Joseph Rodgers and Sons straight razors, that were in what I call a "gentlemans chest" along with a couple of boot jacks, "French fit", and separate compartments, a tray etc.
    The box is
    This box according to family history may date from the late 1700s.
    The razors trademarks are a bit different than the others I have found on the net, as they dont have the what us gun guys call "proof marks", but only the address.
    If this is not the right forum, pardon my newbie status :)
    I am 65 years old, I have no clue how to modify pictures so that they will be accepted. I can just turn a computer on and off successfully. :)
    The tang reads JOSEPH RODGERS & AND SONS
    CUTLERS TO THEIR MAJESTIES
    No6 NORFOLK STREET
    SHEFFIELD
    The box is constructed of dark red walnut perhaps. 10"x6.5"x4" tall, of the highest quality. Brass round corners, a simple old school hollow key lock.
    I suspect the box was made separate from the razors, but the box tray was designed and fitted for a pair of razors, along with the unmarked boot jacks, along with three other small compartments, one which has an original "star safety razor", colorful tin box, maybe 1.5 x2.5 inches.
    The bottom compartment has what I believe is a gizmo to sharpen single edge blades A three pronged looking chingaso, it as well is marked "Star Safety Razor"
    If some fine gent here, can train me how to upload the correct picture address, I will be pleased to attempt again, the feat of uploading pictures.
    A million thanks, Ron

Karl G and DaltonGang like this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
  3. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    You most likely need to decrease your picture file size to under 1mb.

4. RgR

RgR New Member

Thanks amigo, I will try to mess with the pic. The reject message I got was something about format type. Ron

5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I have several Joseph Rodgers & Sons Razors. I would need to see pictures of them.
    Look at the properties of the pictures. They probably need to be reduced in pixel size.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    Karl G likes this.
  6. RgR

RgR New Member

Thanks, using a computer reminds me of the hunt and peck self taught typing system, when I was a a high school student near 50 years back. But that was a lot easier.
    This trademark is similar to those found elsewhere, but they do not have the iron cross looking stamps. thanks for your interest.

Attached Files:

7. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

My guess, would be 1890-1915. Just a guess by the shape.
    JOSEPH RODGERS (ROGERS) & SONS
    Norfolk St., Sheffield
    Appointed cutlers to His Majesty King George IV in 1821; chosen as one of 5 firms to make cutlery specimens for presentation to the Duke of York in 1826 ("Old Sheffield Razors" by Lummus. Antiques, December 1922 p.261-267)
    1682 - at least 1991

8. RgR

RgR New Member

This is the box the razors were in. Some family tradition claims the box from the late 1700s, but am a bit skeptical on that claim.:D An antique tooth puller, called a "toothkey" by the collectors, hints at early 1800s, also some other dental looking picks and scrapers.
    The best WAG on the razors, from google hinted at 1840, but the trademark is not identical to what I found. The box may be older than the razors. Maybe they made fitted boxes for gents, the tools came later?
    Two boot jacks are needed but were two razors common?
    Thanks, Ron

Attached Files:

9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Yes, multiple razors were common back in the day, as was the idea of resting a razor between shaves.

10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The box could be analyzed by it's construction and any nails or screws used would also help with dating the box. From the style it looks more 1800's than 1700's to me.

11. RgR

RgR New Member

1700 seems a bit early to me as well, but after researching the tooth puller chingaso, late 1700s/early 1800s might be doable. As far as the box construction, its all mitered and solid wood pieces, not a screw or pin anywhere, with exception of the brass hinge screws. Nor is it veneered. I am a gunsmith /sotckmaker by trade, so am familiar with wood.
    My sister ran into a similar box in an antique store some decades back. Not sure if it had any razors etc in it.
    My late grandfather, received the box from his father in 1910, who had been in possession since the mid to late 1800s. They are cla
    The toothkey is from the 1820s according to the experts. Again, the razors may have been a later addition. They are nice condition, but have a lot of miles on them too.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  12. RgR

RgR New Member

I re read Daltons research reference, perhaps to clarify the fly specs out of the pepper, the trademarks on my razors, is a bit different than some of the JR razors. Mine read
    “Cutlers to their MAJESTIES” plural on the last word. Apparently some read “majesty” singular, and some “his” as I recall, but the date of manufacture is decades apart.
    I know just a little about some things, but dont know jack about English royalty. :)
    I am not throwing stones please believe, I really appreciate ANY idea or suggestion. I tend to speed read and overlook the fine print at times.
    From my firearms experience, ramps broke or wore, they may have been changed mid day, thus they may not be the last word on when any particular firearm was made. But adding all the different features together, can establish a WAG if nothing else.
    The various dental torture tools, in this box, makes me consider the early 1800s, or as well, the razors could have come later. But the possession by my family, pretty much proves, they razors pre 1900, likely by several decades.
    I signed up for the other forum, and just waiting on approval. Thanks again to all, Ron

13. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

14. RgR

RgR New Member

Cripes, getting a pic that will upload, is like trying to make our govt honest! 20 minutes later, I got this one uploaded! It shows the full blade shape, if that is a clue, as well as the dentist tools, which are from the early 1800s.
    The other suggested forum has not responded.
    I am not sure Rockford, and Magnum PI combined, could find an exact answer to this search, but I saw one site offering the address dates of 1840, but they had the "iron cross" stamp, as I recall, and mine dont.
    Intel about the set is as follows, My Dad received it 1969 at my grandfathers death. My GF, had received it from my Great GF, in 1910.
    My GGF had received it from his father, mid 1800s. My GGF was not even born until 1860, so if we presume he started shaving in 1875, at 15 years old, the razors would have had the later trademark, unless of course he bought used razors.:)
    The wildcard is, that my Great Great GF, got the box from two brothers, exactly when, why, how, unknown. They then went adventuring in Louisiana, and all three vapor locked from the yellow fever. Which means he was alive until at least 1859, or or I wouldn't be here.;)
    I am thinking the brothers may have been dentists, they gave the box to my fore father, perhaps for collateral. Then the old saw about many a slip tween cup and lip came into play for the three original players.
    I should likely just enjoy what ever version fo the tale I prefer. One thing for sure, its beats hades out of watching the news, and the talking heads trying to get me to feel sorry for that aging pop star chic.
    On a serious note, I really have enjoyed hearing ideas from all here. I am thinking the admin guy, Sparky, may have been involved with one of the knife forums I used to play at way back.
    Ron

Attached Files:

PLANofMAN likes this.
  15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Sparky is strictly IT. I believe he views our hobby with some mild amusement and little interest.

That's not to say that he couldn't be a secret knife aficionado.

Steve56 and IAmTheJody like this.
  16. DrStrange

DrStrange Well-Known Member

I found this:

https://woodsandarrow.com/joseph-rodgers-sons-star-cross-knife-making-history/

"This six pointed star trademark was granted to Joseph Rodgers & Sons, along with the lesser known Maltese cross, in 1882."

PLANofMAN likes this.