Help! Which vintage Gillette to get?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Lord Gillette, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Lord Gillette

Lord Gillette Active Member

:bounce015:I'm pretty new to this and I'm using a Gillette flare tip 60s.

Which open comb is good to get? And what's the difference between old type and new?

And are all the TTO like ranger tech and super speed very similar?

Thanks.

RyX likes this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

A lot of questions here. I would advise a visit to Mr .Razor Gillette site for a better introduction to the Gillette range.

Old Type is a particular range with a common curved baseplate and posts securing the blade. "new" is not a thing, but the Gillette New Improved and Gillette New were distinct ranges, the latter introducing slots as an additional means of blade alignment, and baseplate corner recesses with fitting cap to both secure and protect the corners. The basic design of the Long Comb was carried over into the Tech and various TTO models with a safety bar after 1939.

I can't tell you which open comb is "good to get". They all have their fans.

No the Ranger Tech is much more aggressive than your Flare Tip.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  3. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

jtspartan, Norcalnewb and RyX like this.
  4. Lord Gillette

Ranger tech is more aggressive than the flare tip? Now I'm interested. :D How is the ranger against the red tip then?

RyX likes this.
  5. Lord Gillette

RyX and wristwatchb like this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

NEW. Long or short comb. Relatively plentiful and cheap, and very efficient.

Dansco, brit and RyX like this.
  7. Lord Gillette

is the chronology of Gillette open combs something like this?

old type > new > new improved.

8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

No. Old Type introduced 1904 continued until 1929. New Improved 1921-1929 (Old Type became the discount razor with introduction of the NI). New 1929-38 (ish). Things got sloppy and complicated in 38-39 as Gillette transitioned to safety bar TTO and .Tech models.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    jtspartan, brit, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I could be wrong but I think the New Improved came second, New third.

Lord Gillette likes this.
  10. wristwatchb

Just a suggestion....if you're new to shaving with a DE razor, join the 30 Day Rule / Focus thread (link in my previous post), use the Flare Tip until you become proficient with it, and then you can branch out to some different razors. As a new wet shaver, switching up your gear as you are learning may not prove to be helpful. The Flare Tip is great razor, BTW, and should provide some fantastic shaves.

11. Lord Gillette

Ah ha, good to know. :D which is the ideal first open comb?

12. Lord Gillette

Actually I've been wet shaving for about a year but I haven't acquired a lot of gear like some of you. :D:D

Yeah I do like the flare tip a lot.b

RyX likes this.
  13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Like I said there is no right one for everyone. You'll get a different answer no matter who you ask. Pick one cheap and in good nick . The New Improved is gorgeous (IMHO), tends to demand a higher price, especially in undamaged condition. The New Long Comb is probably the most common and least expensive, Short Comb a bit more dear. The Old Types are great but more demanding of proper angle and pressure, as well as being more likely to come damaged or misaligned.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    jtspartan, RyX and Lord Gillette like this.
  14. wristwatchb

Have fun investigating vintage razors, then. The collecting aspect of wet shaving is fun as well. I have both the NEW LC and the NEW SC. They are both fantastic shavers.

brit, RyX and Lord Gillette like this.
  15. Lord Gillette

Hmmm.... Guess I'll try to focus on the new then. Those Gillette razors are super confusing.

RyX and jmudrick like this.
  16. Lord Gillette

Yup, that's where the fun lies.

RyX likes this.
  17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Right. That's "New". Good luck :) .

brit and Lord Gillette like this.
  18. wristwatchb

It's also fun to work on your technique. I may be a slow learner ;), but my technique continues to improve as I learn new things. Once your technique is solid and you are consistently getting good shaves, you can get a fantastic shave with any razor your pick up, provided it is not defective in some way. For me, that adds a whole new dimension to switching up from one razor to another. Have fun, and I look forward to seeing what gear you decide to pick up. :)

RyX and Lord Gillette like this.
  19. Lord Gillette

Don't know yet. Need to research more.

But what caught my eye so far are the new improved and ranger tech. As for the new, I don't know.

20. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I'm a big fan of the ball end old type. It's one of my favorite shavers.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

jtspartan, RyX and wristwatchb like this.