Help with restoring a blade

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by Jake Gibson, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Jake Gibson

Jake Gibson Well-Known Member

I was hoping someone could help me with removing rust and other build up on the blade of this Henckel I just picked up. Thanks in advance

I tried to upload a picture of the blade and the file was too big to upload. Basically the blade is covered 40-50% in a dark, almost black material that looks and feels like rust. I was hoping there's a trick to removing it without being too abrasive. Please help!!!

Billyfergie likes this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Billyfergie and DaltonGang like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

In my own mind. :scared011:
    But, pics are a must.

Primotenore and Billyfergie like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Try cleaning with alcohol first, make sure no alcohol gets on the scales. Some(Celluloid Scales) dont react well to alcohol. Sometimes gunk gets built up, over 100+ years. But, good pics are a must.

Billyfergie likes this.
  5. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    :happy102:

Billy..:chores016:

DaltonGang and Primotenore like this.
  6. Jake Gibson

Will definitely try the alcohol technique for sure. I just tried a little CLR on an old busted up junker SR I have and it just turned the blade this dull grey colour and didn't remove any of the substance so that was a bust......Also still can't upload the picture, still says the file is too big to upload :(

7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Reduce the file size to less than 1mb.

Billyfergie likes this.
  8. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

@Jake Gibson you use a file pic upload site and just link it here.

Billyfergie likes this.
  9. Jake Gibson

Update; So I decided to go the CLR route again with the Henckels I was trying to clean up, got everything ready and setup so just the blade comes in contact with the liquid everything was going good I figured 10-15 minutes tops would do but this time I setup in the basement out of reach of my little one and the pets....Whelp wouldn't you know it, I FORGOT ABOUT IT!!!! 5 hours later and ohhhh boy.......I got myself a nice pair of generic black scales ;) lesson learned for sure.

Edison Carter and Billyfergie like this.