Helping my Wife to Shave

Discussion in 'Women's Shaving' started by excalibur5, Feb 22, 2011.

1. excalibur5

excalibur5 Member

Well, my wife has been laughing at my new shaving hobby for a while, but is now seeing the light. She hates to shave her legs (lucky for her we live in Alaska, where shorts are not in season for long) due to the razorburn she usually experiences. I know a good deal of this is from improper technique & iffy tools (she uses a gillette venus with canned goo). I am trying to "win her over" but know little of the women's side to this hobby. Here are my questions:

1. Is there a recommended DE razor for women? Will letting her use my Merkur 23C be a good place to start?

2. Can anyone recommend a good ladies shave cream or soap?

3. We cannot find a women's aftershave, and are going to try making our own for her. Here are the ingredients we are thinking of: Rose water, witch hazel, menthol crystals (sparingly) and some lavender essential oil for scent. Anyone have a recipe they want to share?

Thanks! Talk about going into uncharted territory. :eek:

2. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

I think my girlfriend is starting to see the light as well. She made fun of me for awhile and then after feeling my face she stopped making fun of me and loved my smooth face. how my 3-4 o'clock scruff doesn't come in for a hour or two more.

3. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Just getting her off the canned goo will do wonders for her. The stuff in the can that makes the liquid fluff upon exiting is good for making liquids foamy but not for making skin comfy.

As far as an AS for her, go to a store where you can get good essential oils, being careful on which one you get, some can be lethal, seriously. Find a safe one that you like, such as patchouli or myrrh, etc., and put several drops of it into a small bottle of vodka. Shake well and then use it as a splash.

4. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Just an idea but could use a more mild scent one and add whichever EO you want to make the scent wanted. Or just use a witch hazel toner?

5. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

I totally mis-read the title of this thread....

...and now I understand why there's not a mile-long list of volunteers....

I'd go with a long-handled razor, such as Lady Gillette (which is why they're longer, of course), or long handled super adjustable.
    I also seem to recall reading where some ladies like injectors, so that's worth considering.

Even without changing razors, I'll concur the getting away from the canned goo is a huge step in the right direction. My wife has become fond of Kiss My Face, and she also liked the Alba while the local place still had it....

As for aftershave, I'd highly recommend TSD aftershave milk, finally got my wife to try it and she loves it

6. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    First, we have a Women's Shaving forum. Have your wife take a look through some of those threads.

Second, and I know it is hard for gents to believe, women aren't aliens or another lifeform. If she requires an aftershave, what you use is perfectly fine for her, too. Lotions, balms, splashes, alum, witch hazel. Just find the fragrances she'll like.

7. TheCopperHat

TheCopperHat Member

My wife has really enjoyed TOBS, (much to my shagrin as I love it to and it's almost all gone now : ( ) . The biggest thing my wife has commented on is weight of the razor, for her she likes something light yet aggressive, loves the injectors and her new 86r. Didn't like my fatboy though...phew....

8. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

You mean they ain't from Venus?!? :think002

9. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Nope. :)

The odd thing is, aftershave is the one area the cosmetics companies have overlooked for women. Of course, they have managed to bombard us women with every other concoction they could come up with.

10. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

True.. but as said above, your A/S Milk is a great equalizer for the ladies, and I have orders to order some more.

11. excalibur5

excalibur5 Member

Thanks everyone.

Looks like I'll let her try out my Merkur 23C to start, and get some kiss my face for her (I already have and adore their mint - but that one is MINE). I placed an order for some of the more femminie scent samples and a sample of TSD's aftershave milk. I was eyeballing that, but not sure if it would work well for women as well.

sol92258 - I wondered how long it would take for someone to comment. I questioned myself about that thread title. :happy102

Queen of Blades - Thanks for your help last night adding to my order for this. As a noob, I hadn't even noticed there was a women's section to the board. I'll direct her to that as well. :D