Henry Et Victoria - Triple Milled - (Cognac and Cuban Cigars Scent) Review

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by StormyWeather, Aug 3, 2019.

1. StormyWeather

StormyWeather Well-Known Member

Water used: Hard (maybe very hard?)
    Scent: Cognac and Cuban Cigars (Triple Milled)
    Brush: Omega 10048
    Razor: Merkur Progress (Long)
    Blade: Astra SP (shave 1)
    [​IMG]
    Scent (9/10): I generally don't get soaps I don't like the smell of to begin with, so this rating is almost always high for me. That being said, growing up it smells like that old sweet pipe tobacco the old Italians would have that I'd smell growing up. My grandfather smoked a pipe, and he always had this sweet tobacco smell going on. It smells pretty close to that.

Lather ability (7.5/10): The soap lathered pretty quick (quicker than Stirling) but also retained less in the brush. Had to go back and refill the brush after the first 2/4 (4 being cleanup) passes. Lather was on par with most soaps in the $15ish USD range. Good density. Would've liked it to be a little thicker, but what you'd expect.

Slickness (8/10): To me the performance is similar to something like Stirling, Wickham, Noble Otter. Did the job, and didn't get any nicks or cuts in all four passes.

Post-Shave (8/10): While I wouldn't say I had 'quite enough for an unlathered pass, I did feel like I had balm on my face between passes. So finishing with this, you'd probably not need much of a balm. Face felt good overall between each pass, and the alum block confirmed as much.

This is a solid soap.... but the price is too high for what it does. This jar cost me $35 USD at Pastuer, when in reality it performs just like something in the $15-20 USD price point. (Granted, you can find it online for about $25). If price were not an object, I'd give this about a 7.5 or 8. I liked this smell, and while I can't remember exactly what Duc De Santal smelled like, I did find it also pleasant.

Overall, I'd say given what it costs, it's nothing super special performance wise for its price, but does perform pretty well. I'll keep it in my rotation. I'd recommend starting with a sample before you commit to a whole tub given the cost.

Overall (7/10)

2. brit

brit in a box

nice review sir..

StormyWeather likes this.
  3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Good review and advice.

StormyWeather and brit like this.
  4. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

How strong is the scent? I have the version that is not tripled milled, and while the performance is good, the scent is almost non-existant.

brit likes this.
  5. StormyWeather

It’s pretty mild. Probably similar strength. Like 4/10 for me intensity wise.

6. Preacher

That is kinda disappointing. The scent is what made consider this soap and although it is a great performer, I don't reach for it as much since scent is a good part of the pleasure I get from a soap.

brit and StormyWeather like this.
  7. StormyWeather

To me it’s a decent amount of scent. It could be stronger, though. If you’re looking for an insanely intense soap, it’s probably not the right soap.

brit likes this.
  8. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

Great review very in-depth. You may have given it too much credit as I feel the slickness from NO is far superior but everything else is right on point! Great stuff I’ll be following these!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. StormyWeather

I also liked Noble Otter better overall.

CastleShave and Paul Turner like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

i have the fall's lumberjack set..scent is mild..great soap but i don't use it often. i have others i enjoy more at present..

11. StormyWeather

Honestly I’m hoping to circle back to sir hare barbershop.

To me, it smells like a stronger paco rabanne 1 million EDT but more concentrated and less complex.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    brit likes this.
  12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I use my Lumberjack soap(albeit from a different company)with my Agadir A.S.(agar wood). Good match.

brit likes this.
  13. StormyWeather

Just got out of a Tom Ford store. Smelled Tobacco Vanille. To me, this shave soap has a pretty similar smell. I’m not sure it has vanilla, but both have sweet pipe tobacco front and center. If you like Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille, you’ll probably love this soap.

brit likes this.
  14. ghostlife

ghostlife Well-Known Member

I think their triple milled soap is so expensive because it should last a long time. The regular one is only like 18$

brit likes this.
  15. StormyWeather

Got a sample of stirling haverford in. It’s basically muted stirling haverford or Tom Ford tobacco Vanille.

So if you want more intensity in the smell (IMO better intensity) either of those scents is better.

brit likes this.
  16. Preacher

I don't think I'll repurchase Henri et Victoria when it is gone. I took a sniff of mine this morning and there is practically no scent at all. Maybe if it is really quiet with the lights turned off and I stand very still, I can detect a scent. I have Haverford on the way.

17. StormyWeather

I like haverford more as well. Having come from the Tom Ford outlet yesterday and just got my haverford sample today, it’s really close to the real tabacco Vanille

CastleShave likes this.
  18. Preacher

That is so encouraging since I have Haverford on the way, along with the AS.

19. StormyWeather

AS?

20. Preacher

Aftershave