Hey Fatty Boom Boom!

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by ohpaos, Jun 12, 2013.

1. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

MWF Refill Soap (125g, 7.6cm diameter) & empty lotion container (interior 8.7 cm).
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

+ (2oz distilled water & 10 drops pear EO) + 12hrs =
    image.jpg

Ode to Mitchell's Wool Fat (Reggae)

Hey, fatti bum bum
    Sweet sugar dumplin'
    Hey, fatti bum bum
    Let me tell you something

PLANofMAN, he told us
    Dat you like your agua.
    So I put you in a bowl
    With some pear hydrosol

Now you lather so well
    & I love you even more.
    No, not because you so big and fat
    Don't believe I'm afraid of that...

La la la la laaaaaaa :D

Fatti Bum Bum by Carl Malcolm, UK Records 1975
    :p

PLANofMAN, Ryan B, Monkeylord and 3 others like this.
  2. srpavko

srpavko Fastrak Super Duty Hustler

You crazy girlfriend!

richgem and ohpaos like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:happy088:

ohpaos likes this.
  4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Literal lol. You need professional help. :D

ohpaos likes this.
  5. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

This might just be my favorite soap...Right up there with the Tabac. I never thought of putting some EO in it. I do like the scent as it is mild and clean, but to add something light might be really nice, like peppermint or eucalyptus...So how exactly is it done? 2 oz. H2o + some EO for 12 hours?

battle.munky and ohpaos like this.
  6. ohpaos

ohpaos Smiley Provider

I'll apologize in advance for the length of this post, but hopefully one or two bits may be helpful... There was little method to my wee hour madness :D. I was just curious to see the famed water-hunger of MWF & the bit of pear EO was just a side experiment to see if I could cut a bit of the aldehydic (powdery) burst I get from a new MWF puck. I don't expect the few drops of EO to have penetrated very deeply into the soap, but rather it's likely coating the exterior layer and the container. I will keep track of how the scent evolves over time & # of shaves.

Re: Hydrating MWF ~
    To keep your MWF well-hydrated for easier lathering, wetting the new puck & keeping it in a lidded container is really all you need. Some people with the ceramic bowl will add enough water to fill 1/4 or 1/3 of the puck. Since I wanted to engorge the MWF in one go, I used a lot more water than necessary & went with distilled water and a sanitized container. (The high pH of soap makes it fairly inhospitable to common pathogens, but I did not know how much water the MWF would absorb. Had I made MWF-soup, I might have needed to add a mild preservative.)

Re: Scenting Soap Pucks (pre-made) ~

-For a "melt & pour" (MP) soap such as VDH, you can melt the soap in short microwave bursts (5-10 sec) & add in 1/2 a teaspoon of your scent and site. Some people do this with Old Spice aftershave to make "Van der Spice" :D

-For non-MP soaps (milled, hot process, cold process, tallow soaps etc), you you can't really scent the soap directly without "rebatching," the soap (slow-cooking the soap, which will alter some of its properties, somehing you do not wan to do with shave soaps). A better way is to scent a mildly-scented or unscented MP soap as described above & then combine the newly-scented MP soap with your non-MP soap. This sounds more complicated than it is. You can pour the melted MP soap over the other soap, or chop/grate them up & smoosh into a container for a more thorough mix....If you are interested in ways shavers combine MP-nonMP soaps, look for posts on "Van der Williams" (VDH+Williams Mug soap).

Re: Fatty Boom (experiment, NOT a tutorial)~
    If you want to try impregnating your MWF, I'd suggest using a very small amount of EO (EOs are very concentrated & can irritate anyone in large amts). If you're not using a brand new (dry) puck, I might start conservatively with 1oz water. Add EO drops to water & shake, shake, shake, vigorously before adding to the soap. Seal container & shake some more every few hours till you have your own Fatty Boom Boom. (The shaking is b/c you're not using an emulsifier to keep the oil suspended in the water).

Please feel free to post (or PM) your own experiements or any questions. (I actually make bath soap from scratch, so pls don't let my uncontrolled experiments scare you :D)

7. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Played the song for my family. They seem a little shell-shocked... So am I, actually! Ohpaos, you are a woman of rare gifts, greatly admired. And, am I correct in mentally reversing your title every time I read it?

8. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

I may just give this a try with something that would pair well with the Lucky Tiger AS Lotion, since this is probably either my favorite or 2nd favorite combo. I'm thinking mandarin/tangerine or mandarin/peppermint combo? Would definitely wanna keep it light as I actually like the scent, just wanna kick it up a notch.

Thanks for the info. I'll let you know when I decide on an option and give it a go. Besides online retailers, I'm thinking either Sprouts/Whole Foods probably has an EO selection to choose from?

9. CJames

CJames Well-Known Member

MWF Shaken and now taking a bath in Lavender and Peppermint EO. I'll report either tomorrow or the next day!