Hi all!

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Hogie, Feb 16, 2022.

1. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I go by the handle "Hogie" because my middle name is Hogan after my dad's first name. All his friends called him Hogie.

I found 2 shaving groups on GAB but, they seem to be closed groups. I requested one and after a week heard nothing back so, I pulled the request. Another has only one user and no way to join...

I am 65 years old and just got back to wet shaving with a safety razor. I have started a collection of sorts. I currently have 12 razors including 3 vintage Gillette. I have a 1954 SS Flaretip, a 1956 SS Flaretip, and a 1967 Slim adjustable. I really like the adjustable. Safety razors are SO much better than cartridge razors! Blades are cheap! Razors are awesome! So many options! Creams are the best! Can foam is yuk! Lather brush and bowl is so nice pre-heated for warm shaving cream.

Another favorite I own is my Parker 87R. TTO that resembles an old Gillette Ambassadore. This razor shaves very nice and looks nice. Just the right amount of aggression.

Shark blades are a fav and I like the Feather blades for my Muhle R89 Twist.

I cannot post pictures because I have no place online hosting my photos and I see i cannot upload to the forum.

I can read tho!

Enrico, lightcs1776 and brit like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi, Hogie!
    Welcome aboard from NJ!!

Hogie and brit like this.
  3. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

[​IMG]
    ...to The Shave Den family! :git:

4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Welcome @Hogie . So glad to have you on board. Sounds like you are off to a great start. The rabbit hole is a deep one. Looking forward to your posts.
    [​IMG]

Hogie likes this.
  6. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I wish my dad had shown me how to use a safety razor. I was on my own and I used my first one improperly and cut myself all up! LOL I went to a 2 blade cart (Atra, I think it was) and then the 3 blade carts that Gillette still sells. I HATED shaving! I would put it off for 3-4 days always. I always got razor burn. I tried Dollar Shave Club and used it for 2 years before seeing that it was no better and still expensive (just not as bad as store bought). I decided last fall, to look for a safety razor. I knew Gillette didn't make them anymore but, I was not aware of the world I discovered once I did a search! I got my first vintage Gillette on Ebay for $25 bucks and lucked out, It is in excellent condition and just need a little tweak to make the doors ope and close at same time. I got the Slim and the 1956 SS Flare from Razor Emporium. I know some do not think these should be re-plated and made to look like new but, I wanted a good razor that I knew would work for me instead of gambling like I did for the first one. Ebay is not a great place and you can get ripped off easily. I have discovered that I like a short handle razor too. My fav aside from my Gillettes is a Parker 87R with a Shark blade or any of the Lord made blades (Egypt). I will have to find a way to upload photos

Enrico and brit like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome.i send my photos to my comuter email from a camera or cell phone,then send them here from computer.probably takes longer but works for me.:):eatdrink047:

Hogie likes this.
  8. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

Trying out something....
    My shave stuff! Bathroom is under a bit of construction
    DSCN3753.JPG

DSCN3752.JPG

Enrico, stuartganis and brit like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

Hogie likes this.
  10. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Welcome from West Tennessee

8/19/1942

Hogie likes this.
  11. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Welcome! Glad you joined us.

Hogie likes this.
  12. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I got more of the bathroom cabinet/vanity done today. Almost ready to poly it all! Just a little more trim work first. Also need to do the bottom shelf where it meets the tile.
    DSCN3771.JPG

Enrico, lightcs1776 and brit like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

very cool.:cool:.that should fit many razors,brushes and soaps..;):eatdrink047:

Hogie likes this.
  14. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

finished the upper part so, I am putting poly on. First coat. I need to get some more lumber to finish the bottom of the vanity and make doors. My cat watched me shave before I got to work and finished the trim so I could poly. I think he likes it!
    DSCN3788.JPG UWES8166.JPG

Paul Turner, Enrico and brit like this.
  15. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

I am rapidly increasing my razor numbers! So many to try out! I have a Parker 94R coming now. I really like my Parker 87R which reminds me of a Gillette Ambassador

Parker 87R
    [​IMG]

Parker 97R
    [​IMG]

Enrico and brit like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

very cool.love the aristocrat handle.:):eatdrink047:

Hogie likes this.
  17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Welcome @Hogie glad you decided to join us at TSD! Sorry for the delay of welcoming you ..... I only just realized I haven't welcomed anyone for nearly a month. I like your dust bunny ;) ..... I mean cat. I have one as well, but ours is old enough that she doesn't jump much any more. You need to get yourself a Gillette Fatboy .... no it's not the same as a Slim ..... (it's better):D. Glad to see you have a couple nice Simpson brushes, I have a few myself and enjoy restoring brushes as well.

God bless!

:)

Hogie likes this.
  18. Hogie

Hogie Well-Known Member

This site is huge! I need to stop posting and do some reading. I have already been told to use "Can foam" to shave with by one person.....I try to avoid petrochemicals for the face. Real shave soaps and creams are for me! Luxury! And my technique is basically perfected again after 40 years away from safety razors. I never really learned how to use a safety razor in the beginning. Dad never showed me how(he never showed me anything! "I brought you into this world and I can take you out!") I moved out of house at 16 when he figured I was old enuff for fists. He beat me up the first time when I was 10.

I gotta figure out where to post! I have already had a post moved for wrong place!

I have discovered a whole new world! Glad I decided to find a safety razor and toss the carts!

Oh, and the Parker 94R is so nice, I am going to use it again today with a Parker blade and some Lavender cream!

DSCN3894.JPG

Last edited: Feb 24, 2022
    Enrico likes this.
  19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Shave of the day ...................... https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/sos-february-2022.66212/

All depends on what you'd like to post.

:)

Hogie likes this.
  20. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Cats are pretty creative :).

Hogie likes this.