Hi! Completely new to shaving in general

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by julien06, Oct 6, 2020.

1. julien06

julien06 New Member

Hi, everybody! Greetings from the USA

I just recently turned 14 and I have been told by my family that I'm going to need to start shaving soon. I'm always interested in old things, so I decided that I would only be using DE razors. I would like to start with a vintage Gillette razor, but unsure exactly which model I should buy. I have no interest in buying any modern ones. I'm glad to be here and I hope you guys can help me decide what to get!

-J

Shaver X, Droo78, PLANofMAN and 7 others like this.
  2. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Welcome from West Tennessee.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  3. Smudge

Smudge Member

Hi - I think that a vintage Gillette Tech would be an ideal first razor for you. They are mild shavers and will teach you good technique, as the blade exposure is minimal. Although mild any of them will give you a great shave and many veteran shavers, like myself, use them regularly. The aluminium razors shave great and can be picked up on eBay for very little cost. Good luck.

4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Welcome to the world of shaving and TSD @julien06
    You probably will receive a lot of different recommendations, most of which will be excellent. Whatever you decide, I would strongly urge you to use the exact same razor; exact same blade (changing it every so often, naturally); exact same soap; and, I am assuming since you are here on
    wet-shaving forum, you are going to learn how to create lather with a brush, use that same brush---and everything else for 30 straight shaves at the very minimum, before you "branch out".
    Watch some shaving videos made by reputable shavers. Keep the touch very light against your skin. Don't repeatedly go over the same area without re-lathering. Discover how your facial hair grows. That means in which direction, and then only shave WITH THE GRAIN at first. At 14, your facial hair is going to change a lot over your life and I can only imagine that right now it's very light and wispy. It's not going to take a lot to remove it. Keep posting your results here and you'll get fantastic feedback and support. Good luck.

5. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

:signs046:

Hembree likes this.
  6. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

Welcome from Central Illinois.

Hembree likes this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you.

Hembree likes this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome..:)

Hembree likes this.
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Hembree likes this.
  10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

11. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den!

Hembree likes this.
  12. DrStrange

DrStrange Well-Known Member

13. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

:signs011: and welcome from Alabama the heart if Dixie!

Droo78 likes this.
  14. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Y'know, I had my first Clubman when I was just a little over @julien06 's age. Sophistication right outta the gate!

wristwatchb likes this.
  16. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD @julien06.

I hope you enjoy it here :happy088:

17. steve207

steve207 Well-Known Member

Welcome from Washington State

18. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I agree. A vintage Gillette Tech is an ideal first razor, as is any of the vintage Gillette flare tip super speed razors, particularly the blue tip. I would avoid the red tip Gillette until you have at least a year's worth of shaves in.

I recommend using Astra Superior Platinums. They are about $10 on Amazon for a pack of 100. Not everyone gets along with those blades, but enough people do that I have no trepidations recommending them for your use.

Herm2502 likes this.
  19. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Welcome! Great suggestions. I agree with the Tech, very mild. The Astra SP blades are nice and sharp and will compliment that razor just fine.

Herm

Paul Turner likes this.
  20. DiggaDog

DiggaDog Active Member

Welcome from New Zealand.
    I'll put my neck out and say..."why not a Fatboy"?
    It's adjustable, and as yet you don't know what level of 'shave' you want/need.
    The Tech is fine (I also have 3 of them), and I sold my Fatboy to fund another modern razor...but why not a Fatboy?
    Dial in the level of 'aggression' that you like. Aggression does not mean "cut your face off" either!
    The Fatboy is smooth all the way out to 9 on the dial. It's a classic vintage Gillette too.
    You will eventually get one...so why not get it now?
    A decent Slim would be OK too, or a Black Beauty.