Hi everyone!

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Lothar101, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Lothar101

Lothar101 Active Member

As a newbie to DE shaving all I keep asking myself is why did I wait so long :) So far my shaves after less than a week of trying it have been at least as good as any of the Multi blade shaves I have had over the years, except much cheaper.I'm using a 1963 I-3 Gillette Superspeed and loving it.I hope to spend more time here learning these new (old) techniques and hope to order a blade sampler pack this coming weekend. I welcome hearing what blades work well for others in this razor.thanks again for being so helpful.

2. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Welcome to The Shave Den! Blades tend to be very subjective between people however a good starting point is the blade sampler, it'll give you a better idea without bulk buying and discovering brand X shreds your face like a ceiling fan.

3. JRod22

JRod22 Well-Known Member

I'm not using that same razor as you, but my favorite blade thus far is the Red Personna Platinums out of the first 5 I've tried. Still have 8 more types to try though. It's fun to work through them, and I'm sure as more people post you'll find out that YMMV is really true about blades.

4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Since you are new to the Double Edge world, here is the advice I received when I started with a DE and so I freely give it to new users. The most important things in shaving are, your skin and technique. All other things fall in line behind those two things and to support them. Since the skin is a given fixed item, the next major item is technique. It is called THE 30 DAY RULE.

THE 30 DAY RULE is as follows: Find a razor, then a blade that will not cause issues with your skin (that may take a few different blades in a sampler pack to find a suitable choice or it maybe the first out of the gate) and select a soap or cream that is easy to generate good lather. Once you find those, and it may take a couple of weeks to find this combination, order a quantity of that blade enough for 30 days, and then spend 30 days using nothing else until you build up your technique. (Note that only one brand blade is used for 30 days after each blade in the sampler pack is tested to make the decision on the blade brand to use for 30 days.) The 30 day clock starts when you have the right blade for you.

After 30 days, change one and only one variable and work for another week then change another after another week. At that point you should be able to make better decisions because your technique is now in place.

This will help you to avoid buying too much gear and stuff too soon without having the technique down to enjoy it all.

This really does work.

Oh and one more thing ...

Welcome to the Den.

We know you'll fit right in.

So grab yourself a comfy chair,

and give our threads a spin!

Burma Shave

5. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Hi and welcome to the shave den, Blades are pretty much a YMMV (Your Millage May Vary) Item what one likes may not be good for another. alot of people seem to get on well with Astra SP blades there cheap enough and work great for me, but its worth going through the sampler pack and finding out whats best for you.
    Also when starting out your lather may not be good/correct for you so that may affect you view on a blade. But I found it fun trying to get good combinations that worked for me.

6. Suisse

Suisse Active Member

Welcome to the Den!
    For me Astra SP is excellent and VFM :)
    But you should get sampler pack, there is more fun in trying out different blades :D

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi! Welcome to the Den.

As others have said, your best bet for blades is to go with a sampler pack and try as many different blades as you can for yourself. Only your face can tell you what works best for you.

8. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

:signs046: to the DEN

9. JayPo007

JayPo007 Well-Known Member

:signs046: Welcome to TSD! Echoing great advice, find a good blade sampler. After a year of wet shaving I'm still finding great blades for the different razors I have. Check out the shave of the day thread to see what everyone is using but at the end of the day your skin picks the blade not you! So far Rapira, Voskhod (available at TSD store), and Bolzano work best for me. A not so loved here Derby blade did a great job for me the other day. Never would have tried it if it wasn't in a sampler pack I picked up. If you need help tracking down a good sampler just say the words, we will point you in the right direction.:happy088:

10. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

aW.png
    WELCOME!

11. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den! :signs046:

12. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Hi Lothar, welcome to TSD!
    Happy Shavings!

13. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Welcome man nice to have you here.

14. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD Lothar101......:)

I'm glad to hear your liking real shaving so much!! It only gets better....:D Ordering the blade sampler, get a large one if you can, will be a great first step towards "FANTASTIC" shaves! Although reviews will help you some when choosing a blade, the only way to really know what blade will work best for your face is to try as many blades as you can. Other than that time,technique,practice and patence will get you where you want to go. TSD is a GREAT place to exchange ideas,learn and just have a good time....:shaver

15. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member