Hi from Colorado!

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by J.R., Jan 20, 2016.

1. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Just discovered the whole DE, wet shave thing. Last week a co worker and I were talking about how crazy expensive cartridges were. We both kinda knew about the single blade, shaving brush thing, but not much.

Last weekend I saw a Van Der Hagen razor and blade pack at the supermarket and picked it up. Came home and tried it and gave myself the worst razor burn I have ever had. So I went to Walgreen and got the Van Der Hagen Luxury set, thinking I needed a better shave cream. Couldn't really get a very good lather going and started researching...

After a large amount of reading, I realized I started all wrong and have a lot to learn about this. I guess what I got isn't particularly good. I've practiced every day (5 shaves maybe?) and can get a pretty decent shave now, but I have on order: EJ DE89 Razor, Nice assortment of blades, Omega boar brush, Reef Point Soap, Alum block.. should be here by the weekend.

I'm looking forward to seeing how much difference the better brush and soap make for lather. I guess the soap I got is OK, but the brush is pretty terrible. The Omega brush got good reviews, so it should help. The VDH razor seems OK, but the Edwin Jagger should be better. Especially with some of the blades I got. I'm sure at least one will work well enough I can just stick with one set up for a month or so and work on my technique.

I already enjoy it more than enough that I will never go back to cartridges and gel!

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Welcome to TSD! Thank you for signing up for the Newbie Give-Away :happy088:
    May I suggest you checkout our 30 day focus group thread HERE

AGHisBBS, Robyflexx and J.R. like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Thanks! I plan on doing the 30 day once I get all my good stuff.

AGHisBBS, Robyflexx and wristwatchb like this.
  4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den! You're off to a good start, and you'll enjoy using all your new gear!

AGHisBBS and J.R. like this.
  5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi! And it only gets better!!

6. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD. Man, do like Colorado!! Longmont, Estes Park, Bear Lake, hiking up near the Continental Divide. A beautiful state.

7. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Welcome! Born and raised in CO Florida is home now.

8. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

Indeed it is! And Red Rocks of course! Best venue on the planet!

AGHisBBS likes this.
  9. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

Hello and Welcome....I also go by JR and can't believe I didn't think of that user name.

10. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

I had seen your posts and didn't expect it to work... It never does. I'm glad it did, I stink at making usernames :)

AGHisBBS and JR Reyes like this.
  11. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

@J.R. [​IMG] I'm glad your here.

12. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

Welcome! DE shaving isn't rocket surgery but it does take a little bit to become decent and then a long while to master. Don't think that equipment is the be all, end all. Technique is a huge part of it. That's where that 30 day focus comes in. You have a fellow Coloradoan as one of the overseers of that thread. Quite a few of us Coloradoans here. I'm in Fort Collins. Keep at it, don't get frustrated and soon all your troubles will be water under the dam. ;)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  13. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    zwelcome4.jpg
    Glad you landed here. Back off on the pressure when you shave. Too much pressure is probably the biggest mistake newbies make when switching from carts. Enjoy the ride.

AGHisBBS, J.R. and Robyflexx like this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

For sure technique is critical. I know it isn't all equipment, but since I have some decent stuff on the way, I may as well wait a couple days to jump into the 30-day. That is one of the reasons I signed up! And yeah, I was WAY too hard the first time, razor burn is a harsh teacher. Already got a much lighter hand. Also, one I haven't seen mentioned yet, turn off the bathroom fan so you can hear the shave better!

15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I've been to Estes many times myself. Did Longs twice(I say "did" because I'm too old to do it again, lol).

AGHisBBS, Bama Samurai and J.R. like this.
  16. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

17. Paul Turner

Hello frm Massachusetts. No, don't get me wrong, I want the Broncos to win Sunday. But anyway, nice t get acquainted with a Colorado resident :).

18. Paul Turner

just to follow up-most trails begin at Bear Lake-it should be called Basecamp Lake :).

19. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

20. J.R.

J.R. Well-Known Member

I haven't hiked a 14er yet, I'm more of a Jeep guy.. I have done the hike to Emerald lake in RMNP. Now that I quit smoking I may be able to hike up higher...