Hi Shaveden

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Ron butcher, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Ron butcher

Ron butcher New Member

Hey guys my name is Ron. I was looking for some advice on shaving and found this forum. I have read some posts and everyone seems to be cool and easy going so I joined. Right now I have a goatee but think I might grow a full beard. I like my goatee but my skin is sensitive and it's always irritated after shaving. I get razor burn and ingrown hair so thinking to just let it grow. Right now I use a regular disposable razor but it irritates my skin. Anyways I will look through the forum but any link to past discussions would be great. Thanks guys!!!!!

TestDepth, clint64, AGHisBBS and 9 others like this.
  2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Welcome, Ron.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

3. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Welcome to the club. You'll get lots of information from everyone here. Lovely place to hang out. Couple questions.
    What kind of disposables are you using?
    Shaving cream, foam stuff in a can?
    How often do you shave?
    And what's your shave prep consist of?
    Once again, welcome!

jtface, RyX and Edison Carter like this.
  4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you.

5. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

Welcome Ron. The majority of members here did use disposable/cartridge razors before moving to traditional wet shaving. Lots of advice around on DE (double edge) safety razor shaving! There's also plenty of straight razor users too!

A really great place to start is the 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion - loads of great advice on gear, technique, and generally becoming a better shaver day by day and month by month!

Hope you enjoy your stay here!

AGHisBBS, RyX, Edison Carter and 2 others like this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome, from Texas.

7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Hello and welcome

8. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Hi Ron, welcome aboard!

9. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Ron, welcome to The Shave Den!

10. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to TSD.
    Learning to wet shave usually helps cut down on irritation, so maybe you won’t have to grow a beard. Less blades running across your face = less irritation, But there is a learning curve. Pick up a vintage Double edge or single edgerazor and give it a try.
    Lots of people here to help you along your way.

AGHisBBS, jtface, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  11. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD @Ron butcher

I hope you enjoy it here.
    As has been said you may find that if you begin using a DE, SE, Injector or Straight instead of a cart you will begin getting a much better/kinder shave. I know that for me that after 30 "miserable" years regularly using either a Trac II or disposables, switching to "traditional" shaving technique(spending a little bit extra time with a brush and soap puck instead of canned goo) and using a single edge razor changed my shaving life.:) I now get the "BEST" shaves of my life, with virtually "NO" irritation, razor burn, nicks or ingrown hairs.

AGHisBBS, jtface, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  12. Jarvis

Jarvis Active Member

Welcome to the forum.

13. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

14. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    High their, Ron, from North Cackalacky.

zwelcome2b.jpg

15. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

7A9635E7-73F2-4A81-9D62-DD8090B2078A.png Welcome from New Mexico!

16. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Hello and greetings from New England. One thing I will say is if you have sensitive skin stay away from menthol.

17. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Hi Ron....welcome to the forum and the group here. :)

18. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

I guess a good first razor is a vintage Gillette Tech! You can pick them up cheap, and I love how kind mine is to my face!

19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs046: @Ron butcher from western NY, glad you decided to join us at TSD. My first advice would be to ditch the disposable razor and pick up a DE. I had a lot of irritation and ingrown hairs until I started DE shaving. I introduced my two sons and daughter in-law to DE shaving and they enjoy it very much. There are razors of every price point so no excuse not to try it.

BigMark83, jtface, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  20. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Welcome Ron.

Hang around and I think you will find the answer, I did.

Fun journey.

jtface and RyX like this.