High Milage Trucks

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by JohnDB, Feb 14, 2018.

1. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

I remember once my father and I rebuilt a carburetor on a Dodge duster. We forgot to adjust the float valves. Gas about poured out of the top of it. I'm guessing that a MAF is something akin to float valves and idle adjusting screws. (I'm an electrician and not a mechanic)

Fuel efficiency is nice for cars. And the gas hogs of trucks are kinda pricey to run. Great for hauling big loads but lousy for commuting daily. Which is why I drive a truck. Best of both worlds. I can and do haul stuff...but I also commute a lot. And I'll agree that fuel injection is a lot more fuel efficient than carburetors ever dreamed of being.
    But all the sensors and especially the vacuum hoses are annoying.

2. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Not really. The Jets work like the MAF. It tells the computer what the temperature of the air going into the engine is and the computer feeds the correct amount of fuel into the engine. Floats on carbs just regulate refilling the carb but the Jets regulate the fuel flow.

3. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Okay, you have got to share that story.

4. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

In a 4x4, I want to be able to keep driving.
    Low engine oil should give a light, not shut down the engine.
    It is pretty dangerous to cut the power on a steep hill.

A wet water filter, should give a red light, not stop the engine, if you are fjording stopping in general makes matters worse.

Abs sensors that are clogged should stop the abs and traction control system, not the enginepower,....

In the engine or transmission it is the same, if a rubbish sensor fails, it should give a warninglight, a critical sensor should lead to limb home mode, not kill the engine on the spot.

5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

What vehicle does these things? Sounds like one I would definitely want to stay away from.

6. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

I was following my wife home (about a mile behind) running through a somewhat residential/commercial neighborhood just off the main retail area and had stopped at a 4-way intersection that was empty and just started to pull out and make my turn when a car plowed off the front end of my truck. The car careened off the front and somehow missed a 100yr old tree and a power pole going right between the two, across the ditch and ended up in a house's front yard.

So I put the truck in park (after extensive cussing) and went to check on the driver of the car.

I was totally shocked to see this woman in nothing but bra and panties with her pressed clothes in the passenger seat and a bottle of vodka in the floor. She was sobbing uncontrolled and babbling about being left alone. I'm guessing that she didn't wear her clothes to keep the wrinkles out of them.
    Got the police and ambulance (she said her knee hurt) and the police followed her to the hospital to arrest her.
    My truck was totaled and I surprisingly got a check from her insurance company for about half of what the truck was worth.

7. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I'm surprised you didn't go after the insurance company for replacement value.

Sounds like she was amazingly lucky - if she managed to keep moving fast enough to go through a ditch and into the yard beyond, she's lucky she didn't end up through the windshield or window.

JohnDB likes this.
  8. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

I tried but got nowhere with the replacement value.
    Lawyer wouldn't touch it because it wasn't enough money to fool with. (No injury and a $5,000 truck)

So...I got an $1800 check for a $5,000 truck and a lot of hassles.

9. Bookworm

Huh. When that sort of thing happened to my folks, they got _their_ insurance company involved, because of uninsured/under insured motorists. That got the other company squeezed until money popped out. :)

JohnDB likes this.
  10. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

It is a european ford truck, a rebadged mazda that gave the owner grey hair!

JohnDB and Bookworm like this.
  11. Bookworm

I hate lawyers, and I'd be suing someone if an engine light sensor shut my car down.

JohnDB likes this.
  12. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

There is a co-worker, who's 2011 VW Passat caught on fire in the parking lot. Unknown why, with little miles on it.
    He borrowed his fathers truck, a 1997 Dodge Ram 3500, Cummins Diesel, with over 500,000 miles on it. All he has done is change the fluids regularly. Still runs great. The guys father also has another, a couple of years older, with over 800,000 miles on it. Same story. Neither engine smokes. So, not everything American made is junk.

JohnDB likes this.