High Mileage Razors

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by ironthinker, Dec 2, 2014.

1. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

I have a very honest friend that tells me he gets a year of shaving out of a Gillette
    "Good News" disposable razor. I know the guy is 100% honest, you don't.
    Just want to know if any of you have heard of any other "High Mileage" shaving.

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I've heard of others doing the same, anything is possible. If you believe him, I have no reason to doubt it.

3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Maybe he did something along the lines of what this guy did:

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  4. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I would not want to be his face!

5. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Somebody on one of the forums posted that he got months (or maybe it was a a year) of use from a single Dinosaur double-edge blade. Nobody believed him, but maybe it was true. Like your friend, it might be that one particular blade and razor type just works incredibly, unbelievably well for him.

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

A year?
    I would like to know how.
    Will he tell you how he does it?

7. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

I have a friend that keeps his disposables in a cup of rubbing alcohol and will shave with one for over a month. Claims rust is the only thing dulling his razor. Oh and he shaved his head too. I don't doubt he used one for a month but man his skin has to be like leather to not notice the razor is dull.

I got into this game for relaxing comfortable shaves oh and to save money. 20+razors and 10 years of soap later there is no money saved but the shaves are awesome.

wristwatchb and GDCarrington like this.
  8. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

Not sure. The most I got out of a razor was my Schick Hydro 3 which gave me 3 weeks of daily shaves before signs of dulling

9. Shaver X

I think it was on another forum, and I don't even remember the poster's name. Bear in mind that it is the Internet, and people say all manner of things. In the end, it doesn't really matter. Others were posting that they used the same Dinosaur blades and only got a few days worth of shaves. The "your mileage may vary" thing applies, sometimes in the extreme. If we want blades that last for years, a Rolls Razor or similar will do the trick.

There are some blades that last longer than others for quite a few fellows. The Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum (black label and blue label) blades last 12-14 shaves for me, and others have reported that they last even longer. Still others state that they only last 5-6 shaves.

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

With a carbon steel blade, one might get months of shaves depending on his beard, and if he knows how to maintain the edge. It wouldn't be worth doing, imo, but it might be done.

With stainless? I have to doubt it, especially when the blade is locked inside a plastic frame.

11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I don't remember how long I used to get out of the Mach 3 carts. I shaved in the shower and there have definitely been times where it would last me a month plus. It wasn't sharp nor pleasant, but I still got a shave. Since switching, most I have ever gotten was 13 shaves out of a British Wilkie of some sort. I bought a pack of blades at a flea market for a buck or something. Once I feel a little tugging, the blade gets binned. It is normally 3 or 4 shaves.

Shaver X and dscaver like this.
  12. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Slightly off topic, but I have gotten * years * of shaves from the same set of blades in my cheapo Norelco electric shaver. :rolleyes005: I have a light beard, but I mostly had gotten used to crummy shaves. :angry032: That was before I discovered the joys of traditional shaving.

Shaver X and dscaver like this.
  13. Gordy

Gordy Well-Known Member

I got years out of my Philishave electric razor but the shaves were rubbish, I just put up with the discomfort and burning because I thought blades would be worse - cartridges were!!
    My skin crawls really now even seeing cartridges razors, it really was a good example of aversion therapy. I can't imagine that stropping them is going to do anything much as clogging is still a major issue. A brand new Mach 3 or Sensor still tugged more than any bad DE blade I have tried.

14. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Who knows I'm not going to buy a Fusion just to try it out.

15. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

I used to use my disposable mach 3 cart for about 3 months. Mostly due to being poor and they are so pricey. But I got decent shaves still.

16. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

I asked him how long his DEs lasted, back in the day he used them. He says, they may have lasted longer than he used them, he didn't want to have a bad blade experience. So he may have trashed them early because they were so cheap.

I bet some of us DE guys do ditch much to early, because of the cheap blade prices.

This guy proves Your Mileage May Vary. In my case, "I thank God for all the DE choices."

17. Shaver X

That seems to hold true for most guys with most blades.

I think the Norelco blades are self-sharpening. They used to have TV advertisements to that effect, if I recall correctly. The blades/shaving head in most electrics lasts on the order of years. With most electrics other than the Norelco, the perforated foil above the blades needs to be replaced more frequently. All electrics also require the batteries to be replaced every five years or so, and that is usually expensive.