Historical Straight Razor Marketing

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by TestDepth, Feb 6, 2021.

1. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

I enjoy seeing these old marketing materials, especially how they provide hints or tips. I didn’t see a thread capturing these bits of history, so thought it would be fun.

Feel free to add as you see fit, but hoping to keep it to the straight razor side of the house (razors, strops, pastes, hones, etc).

Also, I would love you to highlight the interesting parts to you... as this stuff probably created the basis for some of our theories.

I’ll kick it off with this Clauss pamphlet... always hoped there was a tie to Santa Claus. :)
    AEA02D30-6A51-485E-BE7C-C0461D5CDF03.jpeg
    Started with a couple pages on how much you could save by shaving yourself : 15 cents a day, and could pay for your son’s college.
    A8C10BA4-4E04-4719-9DBD-0E7CA715C60E.jpeg
    Ah yes, the breakdown of the 3 types of men- busy, society, and working man.
    BAB3DA21-37C7-4402-9AE7-47523D17F6CE.jpeg
    This page tells you the benefits over a safety razor, and instead of YouTube videos & 100 shaves to get proficient, all you need is a Claus razor, this book and 30 minutes. Of course the best hint: get a Claus Razor and a Claus strop.
    8E36BE5A-1605-4D39-B8E6-F806564F5A0E.jpeg
    Talks to benefit of a flat angle, short strokes, with the grain, 1 vs 2 hands, and other tips. Interesting tip on stropping... they are a fan of after, not before the shave, as it is a “peculiar fact” that the edge will be better the next day after stropping.

A page on stropping - pretty boring, but proponent of only 15-20 strokes. And then this page to get you to buy a 2nd razor, in fact some men have, “a different razor for every day of the week.” Who would be crazy enough to do that???:innocent
    4BD2ADFB-BC08-43D3-963A-C7C2C6BA5F6F.jpeg
    Finally, the back cover... what is up with the scary little girl?!?!?? :)
    CC5F62B8-D27C-4B47-8D95-8873A3568D8A.jpeg

Hope you enjoyed and please post what you have.
    Tom

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    Stefano73, richgem, Zykris and 13 others like this.
  2. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Thanks for posting Tom. I particularly liked ‘Use hot water whenever available’.

Billyfergie, Karl G and TestDepth like this.
  3. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

That is really cool Tom. Thanks for sharing it.

Now I gotta get me one or two of them Clauss razors.

Karl G and TestDepth like this.
  4. TestDepth

Probably my current favorite bit of marketing... Robeson Cutlery “The Razor That Fits Your Face”

Here is the link: http://robesonsrme.com/razors.php

Just some pics that I enjoy...
    71DDF28D-BC27-4814-88F1-F9618BD4B023.jpeg
    They definitely feel you need to match the razor to your face, even recommending a round point for “the nervous man.”

Here is the model I have been lucky to have purchased (twice :))
    F912714E-4843-4D2A-A5B0-91FCCAD6218E.jpeg
    Medium beard, skin exposed to weather... sounds good to me.

This page has verbiage very similar to the Clauss on shaving, almost exact wording:
    0F6E4222-9EFB-41F3-823A-08EB5E250303.jpeg
    Bay rum and witch hazel comes up for tender skin and post shave. I like the prep to run the razor under hot water to “ expand the teeth.”

Finally, you need that Robeson hone to match your razor!!!
    720F5D4E-5393-41DE-80C0-C8D3D75A6125.jpeg
    Just one of my favorite pamphlets. :love055:
    Tom

5. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Very cool - thanks Tom :happy088:

TestDepth and Billyfergie like this.
  6. Rkep01

Rkep01 Well-Known Member

I have several of the Clauss razors and several of the Robeson razors as well. They are, indeed, all fine shavers.

Karl G, Billyfergie and TestDepth like this.
  7. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Just thought I Would Stick this Up as a Historical Perspective on German Thuringian Stones,,This is Primary about Escher Stones..They Came Under Different Sister Brand Names as @Karl G will Know as he has One..Some the Otherwise Branded Thuringians Range from 8000 K..Some Un Branded Thuringians are as Good as Eschers But are Bit of a Lucky Bag in My Experince..:D

The 1st Article Grit Rates the Escher Stones..All My Eschers have a Finishing Capacity 0f 17 K Plus in My Hands..Above the Estimated Grit Rating Stated Here..Thought it was an Interesting Article..I have a Fetish for these Stones..I Use them Purely as Finishers after a High Grit Synthetic Finisher..:happy088:
    https://shop.tsprof.com/blog/info/SHARPENING_HISTORY_THURINGIAN_SLATE/
    And.. :eek:
    http://strazors.com/uploads/images/articles/escher.pdf

Billy..:chores016:

8. TestDepth

Thank you Billy for posting... I really enjoyed the color comparisons on the last page of that 2nd article. :eatdrink047:

Karl G and Billyfergie like this.
  9. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Glad Ya Liked it..They are Cheap Over Here..I Got a Couple for Scott..He Loves Em.:).

The Yellow/Green Type Ones are the Dogs Bollocks..Most Razors are Optimal around the 16 + to 17 K Mark in My Experience..Few Can Handle My Higher Grit Surgical Arkansas which Can Knock Out Way Over a 20 K + Edge & then Some when Maxed Out..I Mostly use it for Vintage Stainless Blades or Just Dont Max it Out for Some Other Blades..My Carbon Steel Dorko Solingen Also Handles a Maxed Out Surgical Black Arkansas Edge Very Well..One of My Best Shaver..Scotch & Ice..:happy088:

Billy..:chores016:

Karl G, Edison Carter and TestDepth like this.
  10. Tedolph

Tedolph Well-Known Member

I see that they are fans of the shallow angle-me too!

11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Yes you did. Excellent stones. Easy to work with too.

Billyfergie, Karl G and TestDepth like this.
  12. neiasden

neiasden Member

I definitely enjoy seeing that stuff. how do you post pictures on here? I was going to post one of an issue I had but never could get it on here

Karl G likes this.
  13. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Great stuff!

Karl G and TestDepth like this.
  14. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Just click “upload a file” beneath the text box and then choose the file (photo) you want to add

Karl G and neiasden like this.
  15. neiasden

neiasden Member

thank you

16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

If the file for the picture is too large, decrease it first. That seems to be the biggest obstacle to posting pics.

Karl G and neiasden like this.
  17. neiasden

neiasden Member

any idea what size they need to be?

Karl G likes this.
  18. neiasden

neiasden Member

imageedit_1_5367137431.jpg 600x600 works for sure I'll make the next one a little bigger till I hit the break off point

Karl G likes this.
  19. neiasden

neiasden Member

there's nothing about that picture it's just the first one I came to so I resized it. but if anybody can look at it and see what's right or wrong about it it's one of the first ones I've done I haven't hung it yet I just sanded it from 800 to 1500 5 minutes on each grit about 700 strokes. I don't think this is a picture after I was done though I think it's the picture before I started? because it does not have any of those spots looking at it in my hand? that's weird and that spot down at the toe I worked on that for a long time and it does not show in my hand but on the picture it doesn't look right. oh well I finally got a picture to post now I just need something worthwhile to post

20. neiasden

neiasden Member

imageedit_1_7162729082.jpg 700x700 works. these are some of the first scales I made with a coping saw. leopard wood I think was this one