Hold the Lemon!

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Michael, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

2. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Ok, I am not saying this is right.. but are we REALLY so scared of germs now that this is earth shattering?

Nature is FULL of disease causing things. Frankly the 'super clean' mentality we seem to be taking nowadays is just crazy. Kids are kept in near sterile conditions nowadays that a little bug knocks them out cold.

3. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Make mine a double..................without lemon! :sick007

4. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Agreed. I still get a kick out of the people at work who have a bottle of antiseptic hand wash right next to their phone. And they use it several times a day.

The lemon thing is still gross. :D

5. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Oh yeah I agree. It is not good at all, and having experience in a hotel kitchen preparing food I know we at least did our best to minimize cross contamination and such. It is not wrong to be sanitary, just don't freak out over a single germ. ;)

I would guess that most allergies and health trouble nowadays are caused by over cleanliness. Only allergy that isn't caused by this is peanuts. Peanuts are simply fighting back.. they don't want to be eaten anymore!!! :angry037

6. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Not like that everywhere, bud. My son used to be a cook in an Atlanta restaurant. One day, he took a steak off the grill and dropped it on the floor. He picked it up, threw it in the trash and started over. Unfortunately for him, his boss saw him do it. Got a serious tongue lashing and almost got fired!

YUM!! :drool

7. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

My grandfather always said.....if your going to be worried about your food..and whats in it/done to it.....only way to be tip top sure...is to plant/raise it yourself.

8. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

WTF... If I had tried to use that steak I WOULD have been fired.

and Isaac is right. Homecooked meals are the best. ;)

9. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

Yes and No......

You dont know what they do with the meats at the processing plants.....dont know what they do with the vegetables elsewhere..

I say.....Out of Site....Out of Mind

10. I'm not one to worry about food, but I don't like the idea of fecal material on my lemon. I'm guessing alot of the contamination is from patrons touching the lemons during the day and not necessarily the cook staff.

11. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

You can't be too paranoid though. Or else things just out of hand. Buy quality and just don't worry.

12. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

Hmmm... well I've been having lemons in my drinks for 28 years and I'm still fine.

You'll find traces of germs in anything you can imagine. Lemons are just one of thousands of examples. Gross when you think about it, but I'm not going to start banning lemons in my drink over it.

13. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you! :cool:

14. There something to be said about exposure to germs and bacteria to build stronger immune systems. A friend of mine was so paranoid about her children getting germs that she washed and cleaned her kitchen, bathrooms, etc to the max and she her children were always getting sick as they got older.

15. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

I read a study a couple of weeks ago (if I can find it I will) but it said something very much to that effect, but took it one step further. They said that eating snot would actually help your immune system since you are physically ingesting small amounts of germs which helps you build a tolerance.

Oh medical science.. is their no study strange enough?

16. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

And I thought MY post was gross!!!!!!!!

17. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

:rofl

18. At least there was no word on limes ! But of course, mine is always resting in a fresh Tonic & Gin so germs are the least of my worries ;)

19. guystyleguide

guystyleguide New Member

If you think the lemon wedges are a cesspool, I dare not let you know about the quality of the ice cubes and glasses...

20. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

If you're really, really afraid of germs or bacteria you'd better shoot yourself right now because they're everywhere - on everything we touch, on everything we eat and in every breath we take.

I'm not saying that cleanliness is a bad thing - quite to the contrary - but a little bit of dirt a day keeps the immune system alert and running.