holiday traditions

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by david of central florida, Dec 24, 2014.

1. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

my wife always makes pernil, and arroz con gondules. 20141224_095507.jpg

45auto, Boojum1, RaZorBurn123 and 2 others like this.
  2. ChiefShaver

ChiefShaver Well-Known Member

Looks great. Yummy!!!

Tradition for my family is potato salad with wiener. :) :eatdrink020:

3. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

We have no Christmas dinner traditions.

Apart from having a nice dinner. :D

4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Chanukah is interesting. We light the menorah, with beeswax candles that I make. While I sing the bruchas (blessings) the monkey puppet sings along. My husband denies giving him any help, which makes sense, since the monkey knows more Hebrew than my husband does.

Hubby likes to trim the tree on Christmas eve. So we trim it, put up the lights and read to each other from "A Visit from St. Nicholas" Then, we watch "A Muppet Christmas Carol" Our traditions aren't too specific about foods, though we make an effort to prepare a nice meal.

5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Me neither... Exactly. Our tradition is that everyone must do something to help prepare the meal. So like if we have a guest, they will be asked to ceremonially stir a cook pot or some token task... Our thinking is that it makes it a truly shared event.

Boojum1, RaZorBurn123 and macaronus like this.
  6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

we initiated a time where we passed a lit candle around the room, giving each person a chance to state what we were thankful for. sounds a little like a thanksgiving thing, but we had more family together at Christmas.
    we had 5 grown kids, 4 in-law grown kids, 13 grandkids, 4 bf/gfs, speak. the candle was then given to my wife to store till next year. we are hoping to make a new Christmas tradition for our family.

7. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Most excellent! :happy096:

Boojum1 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  8. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

For Christmas we go over to my in-laws home. We have a wonderful dinner, talk about old times. Enjoy the latest addition to the family.

Boojum1 and macaronus like this.
  9. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

A Christmas Eve morning tradition of fresh squeezed Blood Oranges harvested from our orange tree. The traditional Christmas Eve dinner at our house is Ci0ppino (Seafood Stew) and Pasta. :eatdrink047:

macaronus, 45auto and RaZorBurn123 like this.