Home remedies you swear by

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by gorgo2, Oct 29, 2016.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

What have you tried that you can say isn't old wives' tales but actually works for you?

For me, a cold glass of good mineral water (San Pellegrino, Apollonaris, Gerolsteiner, etc) will KILL the sorest throat, temporarily. Got no idea why it works but it does. We always keep bottles on hand this time of year.

I'm fighting off a cold that's gone into my throat/upper chest. This time my wife got me to take massive doses of vitamin C, and I'm not quite as run down as I usually am.

A cup of any beverage as hot as you can stand it will help knock out a throat infection, too.

battle.munky, Kizurra, BamaT and 3 others like this.
  2. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

I brush my teeth often, gargle with Listerine, and use an anesthetic spray. Before going to bed I put a small dab of antibiotic cream (Polysporin) in each nostril where it will melt into the sinus cavity.
    None of that cures a cold, but it will keep me from getting a secondary sinus infection.

Hope you get well soon.

3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Oh I'm doing fine, thanks. Last year I had the worst sinus infection ever; that small sinus furthest back went bad. Seriously thought I was having a stroke. I'll try your neosporin idea! I swear by the nose squeeze saline bottle loaded with Alkalol (to clean all the gunk out) and a few drops of hydrogen peroxide. Great combo.

BigMike and Kizurra like this.
  4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Drinking upside down cures hiccups.
    I have tested this over and over with my grandkids and several others.

5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Letting a teaspoon of white sugar dissolve on your tongue also stops hiccups.

Placing a few drops of tea tree oil on a toenail in the morning and evening will eventually clear up nail fungus.

My Dad always said you can catch a bird if you sprinkle salt on its tail feathers. Whoops, I'll save that thought for another thread. :D

Kizurra and gorgo2 like this.
  6. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Rubbing alcohol / Vodka. Cures everything.

Kizurra and gorgo2 like this.
  7. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

Soup and ginger ale seem to make being sick a lot more tolerable. The last time I got really sick, I was drinking so much ginger ale that I started becoming dehydrated. I gotta remember to keep chugging water too but ginger ale just goes down so nicely and it calms my stomach so that I can actually eat.

Kizurra and BamaT like this.
  8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Ginger tea for breaking up congestion.

Kizurra, BamaT and gorgo2 like this.
  9. richgem

Ginger is a know expectorant (see above) and it also settles the stomach. In some studies, it was as effective as prescription anti-nausea meds.

wristwatchb, Kizurra, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  10. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

Really interesting and good to know that it wasn't just in my head. If I ever get that sick again, I'm going to try ginger tea since it won't dehydrate me like soda after drinking too much. The carbonation was actually useful for my sore throat but hot tea also does the trick.

Kizurra, gorgo2 and richgem like this.
  11. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

About a couple of years ago, I used to go through bouts of incredibly bad nausea for a few weeks every few months. I had no idea what would bring it on but I would be fine for a month or so and it would come back. I'm talking nausea so bad that I couldn't hold down water and I had to go to the ER a few times. The doc told my wife to try to get me to eat or drink something with ginger to help with the nausea. It worked flawlessly. Ginger Ale or some homemade chicken soup with some ginger cooked into it and I was good to go. It's weird because I never did find out what was wrong even after they ran all kinds of tests but everything always came back negative. A hot shower with water as hot as you can stand it works good for nausea also.

Kizurra, gorgo2 and Demidog like this.
  12. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

A piece of ginger root will keep in the refrigerator for a long time, and slivers can be added to any tea, if not steeped by itself. It is a miracle worker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wristwatchb, Kizurra, Demidog and 2 others like this.
  13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Except alcoholism.

Kizurra, Demidog, BamaT and 1 other person like this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

What will it do for you?

Kizurra likes this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Well that's what I get for reading the thread backwards.

16. PickledNorthern

I was replying to all of the comments about ginger being good for an upset stomach.

Kizurra, Demidog and gorgo2 like this.
  17. richgem

It's also a natural anti-inflammatory.

18. richgem

However, note that ginger does conflict with some heart meds.

19. richgem

...sdrawkcab stsop eht daer t'nod uoy sa gnol os ,llew

wristwatchb, Kizurra, Demidog and 4 others like this.
  20. PickledNorthern

+1. Turmeric is also a fairly effective anti-inflammatory. Tea made with turmeric and ginger makes a good soothing tea for people who can't take NSAIDs.