Home Roasting Coffee

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by rick, Mar 7, 2007.

1. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

So...
    I do it.
    Anybody else ????
    Lets talk about your technique(s).
    This is the method I am currently using.
    I am experimenting with the "pre-heat" of the pan process but, more or less, this will give you pretty great coffee.

http://www.angelfire.com/pro2/panroastingcoffee/howtopanroastcoffee2.html/

www.sweetmarias.com is where I've been buying my beans.
    It is a wonderful source of info....more than you probably ever want to know about coffee.
    I buy there for 2 reasons:
    1: Great selection and prices
    2: Reviews and suggestions on proper roasts for all their beans.

2. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I just can't bring myself to home roast coffee. I have enough ADs to worry about. Maybe when I retire and home in the mornings I'll think about it again. But, that won't stop me from researching it. :)

3. Bandg

Bandg New Member

I've been roasting with a hot air popper for about 2 months now. It has taken a little practice and some reading forums, but I am getting very good results. My green beans are from a company in Tampa(ccm). Roasting coffee, like DE shaving, has given me another opportunity to save money.:rofl Regards, Bradley

4. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Guess I'll keep buying Eight O'Clock! Can't afford to save any more!!! :eek:

5. Will

Will Nevermind

Doc's Coffee!

Go to work, put cheep coffee (aprox 10-20 scoops) in cheep drip machine.
    Pour it in a cup when it is less then half brewd so I can get to quarters on time, then wait untill the last cup is left and ensure it is burned on the bottom before consuming (do not brew another pot at this time).

Hey it is the Navy way! :rofl

6. So that's how we won the battle of Midway! :rofl

You guys are double tough.

7. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Rick sent me some coffee recently, and I am floored. This stuff is incredible, and he tells me he roasts it over a stove :rofl

I must learn how to do this.

It is better than the bag of Intelligentsia I've been working on. :eek:

8. rick

If I can do it.....

It is so simple, anyone can do it.
    The big problem is the amount of smoke that is generated and the stench that is left behind.
    The smell isnt that great "fresh roasted coffee" smell you think it would be.
    More like a burning grassy foulness that will grab ahold of everything in its wake.
    If you have a strong hood over your stove....this will help. Some.
    A lot of home roasters do it on an outside grill...I havent tried this yet but I think Lovie would appreciate it if I did.
    **************************************************************************************

I will add that I do not follow the link exactly.
    My pre heat method is to bring up the pan to 400 degrees as fast as possible and then stabilize the temp there.
    When its set at 400......toss in the beans and get to roasting.

9. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

I roast with a West Bend popcorn popper and get great results. I am intrigued by the Pan Roasting method and I just might give it a try.

10. rick

Rich:
    When I first looked into this I did a lot of research on the HotAir Popcorn Popper method
    Spent quite a long time finding out as much as I possibly could.
    I bought a brand new popper, took it home and killed it on my very 1st try. :o
    I knew then I would master the pan roasting technique :D

11. Straight Arrow

Straight Arrow Active Member

I have two West Bend poppers that I bought at thrift shops and they haven't given up the ghost after two years of roasting. A cast iron pan, on the other hand, will never die!

12. Will

Will Nevermind

Rick, put meh down for 2 bags, I am good for it. :D

13. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Think a 7qt cast iron dutch oven would work or would it have to be a skillet? I already know I wouldn't be roasting in the house. I'm not allowed to cook fish in the house as it is. :D

14. rick

SM:
    Get yourself an ozone generator and the smells are no problem !
    I use the same type pot as seen in the link and it works great.
    Ive also had success with a non-stick skillet, so Im not really convinced it matters that much.
    Im not that anal about getting the "perfect" roast so my beans end up at different stages.
    But I think that just adds complexity to the roast.

15. rick

OK Yall.....
    I tried to roast some beans Sat outside on my gas grill and was NOT very successful.
    Used my non-stick pan instead of the cast iron pot and I couldnt keep the temp up at all.
    The beans kinda cooked, which is a bad thing, and I ended up taking the batch inside and finishing them on the stove.
    I have some more research to do before trying again on the grill :o

16. Yellowwolf

Yellowwolf Guest

Can I get some of it this morning? Been up since 1:30 am. Have to stay awake until 8:15 abd then i am going to bed.
    Donna

17. rick

Heres a big ol, virtual cuppa JOE .....just for you !

:eatdrink013

18. Padron

Padron Active Member

19. Padron

Padron Active Member

A rotissere basket roaster would serve you well, don't know how else you could do it on a grill. I have to roast with the lid closed and at a temp around 525 degrees.

20. rick

That sounds more like a Cee-Gar to me :D
    Thanks for the link BTW.
    That looks promising.