Home sweet home

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by BigMark, May 16, 2015.

1. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

I must say, I love this forum. The other 2 American forums ain't my cup o tea and most people here are civil and easy to get along with. Honestly the only member I ever had any issue with has not been on in months. This really is a great group of people. So relaxed and friendly. Let us keep it that way, please.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  2. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

LOL Can I ask what prompted this?

Bristle Me likes this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I feel that way also, Mark. People here actually talk about shaving stuff and not each other. It's pretty cool.

4. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

This is a really nice place. Every seems genuinely interested in helping learning and sharing.
    I don't have many issues with with two others I read. I can see where a third can get blatent and belligerent from time to time.

5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

This really is a very nice forum. Helpful and encouraging. I have not had any real issues with the other forums but I do prefer this one. TSD seems less driven by product and more about helping find what works for you.

Boojum1 and Bristle Me like this.
  6. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Some forums tend to drift into 'confrontational' mode too readily. Forum members can often be overly-sensitive, in my opinion, to dissenting viewpoints.
    We're not immune to this happening here at TSD—we do have some passionate people here!—but generally speaking, opposing viewpoints are often handled with good discussion and are moderated diplomatically. Part of the moderator's responsibility is to ensure a 'status quo' with regards to good discussion and opinion sharing. The 'ban hammer' is rarely used here, for which I am grateful, as the majority of members here do a good job of keeping TSD a safe, fun and educational place for information and camaraderie.

JR Reyes and Bristle Me like this.
  7. BigMark

Kevin I no loner associate with one and if the other banned me I wouldn't lose any sleep. I would just lurk there.

8. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

Me too. :)

True. So true. :)

Oh yeah. Very relaxed, and very friendly. (and don't forget tolerant and forgiving)

Agreed. :)

OK Mark, you've obviously done something bad.
    Fess up now, what happened........ :confused:

BigMark and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  9. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

This forum is great =) I like it here!

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  10. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I agree. this is also my favorite wet shaving fourm. I feel like this is my second home. there are really a lot of nice people that want to help each other around here.

Bristle Me, RaZorBurn123 and clint64 like this.
  11. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Well, except for the fact that they even allow all those penguins around here.... :lam:

12. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

I agree with Clint. The other forums are OK but TSD is my favorite too.

13. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

Now I feel like I need to stir up some trouble

Really though this is a great group

Bristle Me likes this.
  14. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

My side business is auto detailing and selling auto detailing products, additionally, I teach how to use kettlebells for fitness. As such, I have to be on a bunch of other forums related to those industries. What I have found, in general, is forums tend to draw and retain a lot Zealots. Zealots by there very nature tend to be opinionated and their way is the only right way. They tend to be arm chair quarterbacks and "experts" who's only education is the University of YouTube. There is a huge difference between a detailing pro and someone who knows everything because the buy the most expensive or "product de jour".

All of that to say, I have had the most positive interactions with people here at TSD (although I have also had great conversations with guys at another straight forum also) than any other forum I subscribe to. I have exchanged ideas and products with people from around the world and made "friends", albeit virtual, as well as met people who share a common faith. As HolyRollah said, it's well moderated but civil and doesn't rely on the "ban hammer" which to me seems like the kids taking his ball home and no longer playing!

Last edited: May 17, 2015
    Bristle Me likes this.
  15. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

I agree, and think the Shave Den is a great place, fine members and very well run. "Civil and easy to get along with" are not words commonly associated with forums of any sort, but they really do apply here. That this forum does not have any conflicts of interest is also a tremendous help.

BTW - I know of at least five US-based wetshaving forums besides The Shave Den: Badger & Blade, The Shave Nook, Shave My Face, The Original Safety Too and Straight Razor Place. SMF seems to be fading into the sunset, though, and The Original Safety Too is quite small at present. There are also the Reddit Wicked_Edge, Wet_Shavers and ShavingScience "subreddits", and a number of Facebook wetshaving groups have formed. A good number of Google+ wetshaving sites have popped up recently, as well. There are also tons of YouTube wetshaving channels, some very good, along with an ever increasing number of blogs. YouTube videos and blogs are not interactive to nearly the same degree as forums, Facebook or Google+ but they are very useful nonetheless. None are as good as The Shave Den IMHO.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
    TheFiveO likes this.
  16. BigMark

This tradition seem to really be picking up.

Shaver X and TheFiveO like this.