Home weather stations

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by gorgo2, Jul 30, 2019.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

These turn up for cheap down here in Florida. I figure it's because short of very very bad weather, like hurricanes, the pressure and temps really don't vary much so weather stations don't serve the purpose they do most elsewhere in the country.

Plus they've gone the way of non-smart watches...there's apps for any weather info need now, as well as electronic home units with outdoor sensors. These are considered obsolete if not kitschy-tacky. Don't care. I like looking at them and they do break up blank walls. Anyone else still have these hanging around?

20190730_094512_resize_88.jpg

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I have a Galileo-type weather station similar to this one. But, yeah, smart phone app is so much easier to use and read. Still, bit of a conversation piece since many folks don't recognize what this is.

[​IMG]

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've been seeing those thermometers s lot lately. Are they pretty accurate?

Forgot one. Very accurate trend predictor.

20190730_111559_resize_1.jpg

cliffb599, wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

This is what I grew up with .... I believe it was left in the house by the previous owners when my parents bought the the house in late 1967.

s-l1600-15-2.jpg

:eatdrink013:

6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Mine on the far right is a Springfield, pretty much that same dial.

brit likes this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

They're kind of looked at like my manual coffee grinder from the 1930's ..... I still use mine.

Latherin’ Luddite and gorgo2 like this.
  8. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I have one near our back door but, TBH, I almost never look at it.

gorgo2 likes this.
  9. richgem

I honestly couldn't tell you. Mine is more of a decoration than something I use. My guess is that accuracy would depend on location inside the house and how much sun hits the device.

wristwatchb likes this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

True.

11. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

That's cool and better than any app. Using water/fluids is a very reliable and accurate way to measure pressure changes. It reminds me of using a water level - a tube, open on both ends and filled with water.

I recently visited a bourbon barrel aging warehouse, a very old wooden structure. A plumb line hung inside from just below the roof all the way down to the bottom floor, and they would use it to determine which side of the warehouse to load or unload. The building had stood for about 100 years, so I guess it worked as good as a $25,000 instrument. The old ways of doing things are still pretty good in my book. ;)

AGHisBBS and gorgo2 like this.
  12. wristwatchb

Rich, I'd say it's a very accurate thermometer over the range of temperatures you'd expect to see inside your home. Liquid density change as a function of temperature is very predictable. Likewise, fluid levels respond accurately to pressure changes. Very cool! :happy088:

I'd say this thing could easily predict when it will rain penguins...er...cats and dogs. ;)

gorgo2 likes this.
  13. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I agree with your last sentence, but can't comment much on everything else except I love seeing vintage "historical" things(like the 100 yr old bldg.).

AGHisBBS, wristwatchb and gorgo2 like this.
  14. richgem

LOL.

Interesting... I guess I'll have to pay more attention.

I'm pretty sure that it can only snow penguins. But... I'll try almost anything once. ;)
    "Interesting" fact... in the Netherlands they say that it's raining pijpenstelen (pipe stems) and it's hondenweer (dog weather). No penguins involved. :(

AGHisBBS, wristwatchb and gorgo2 like this.
  15. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

This thread has brought me back to when I was a kid, my dad had a weather station on the wall near the front door. I would check every morning and give the weather report to anyone who would listen.
    In a time when everything you need can be found on a smartphone it's nice to go simple and tested.
    Thanks for sharing!!

16. brit

brit in a box

looked out the window today, cloudy with sunny breaks..;)

wristwatchb and gorgo2 like this.
  17. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

I like them (and have a nice Galileo thermometer) because they are functional art. I know that cell phones have apps that do the same thing, but they are not beautiful and lack soul.

18. wristwatchb

Hang a big toe out the window, and you'll know the temperature and when it rains. :D

AGHisBBS, gorgo2 and brit like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

:D:signs011:

Enrico and wristwatchb like this.
  20. richgem

Unless you're a blond. :innocent